Ticking sound above the driver's side rear tire? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking sound above the driver's side rear tire?

Ayala

Reaction score
City, State
Mexico City
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2002 Eddie Bauer
What might cause a ticking sound in a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer above the driver's side rear tire somewhere within the frame near the fuel pump?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ayala,
Mine made a ticking sound and I found the emergency brake cable on the drivers side was touching a wheel weight everytime it came around. Pulled the cable slack up some through the holder, wire tied it off, and sound went away.

Dave

Dave, Thank you for your answer, I just found out that the ticking sound goes off when I turn off the rear air conditioning, so the problem is something related to the AC, I have to find out exactly what is the broken thing now.

daveleeander said:
Ayala,
Mine made a ticking sound and I found the emergency brake cable on the drivers side was touching a wheel weight everytime it came around. Pulled the cable slack up some through the holder, wire tied it off, and sound went away.

Dave

There is a TSB (tech service bulletin) on this I believe. Check with your local dealership

-Drew

Just fixed the same problem on my x. It was the rear actuator for the rear heater/ac blend door. part cost me 50 bucks and bunch of time to take out the panels. try turning the temp for the rear and you will here the sound come and go. I was a broken gear inside the actuator.

rear actuator

i am having the same problem, how do you take the pieces off to get to it? and what pieces do you take off? i would appreciate any help, thanks :usa:

Remove the rear seat and the trim off the back and driver side panels. That is the hardest part. Then you will see a big black box which is the heater box , just unbolt the heater box and slide it back, not removing it all the way as the refridgerant and heater lines are still connected. Then work the contols to make it start to click and feel the actuators which ever one is clicking is the bad one. There are 2 actuators on the backside of the heater box, one is for floor/top air flow and the other which is the common problem heat/cool control. Remove the bad one and replace. The part is also dependent on manual or electronic type your X has up front. But just give parts guy you old part number off the bad one. Hope this helped

I have the same noise but it sounds like it is clicking after i let go of the brakes but the brake has plenty of meat on it.

Also, if this part you re referring to is the problem, are there any symptoms that i would notice like heating problems. My heat takes a while to heat up. Could this part be the problem.

My 02 xlt has the same clicking noise in the rear left panel. It gets louder if I turn the heat on high but with the heat off it's kinda quiet, but it's still there. I am sure it has something to do with the heat/ ac but I am not sure. I was told that it was some kind of relay switch. What exactly do I need to do to find out? Thanks u guys and gals!!!

the write up is posted above

Back