• Register Today It's free!

Time for a new stereo

94eddiebauer

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer 4dr
After 14 years of the stock system, its now time for a replacement. I reacently blew the factory sub and im living with no bass.

I work at an audio installer where we install sound systems in churches, schools, ect, and im a sound guy for my church (see sig). But im not all that up to date with car stereos. At this point i want to replace everything, all four speakers, the sub, amps, and the radio its self.

Any suggestions on amps and speakers? I have to do this on a reasonable budget (im a college student) but i need to have a decent system. Im kinda picky on clarity and clean sounding bass (like i said, im a sound guy). Ive already found some cd players i like, but im just not sure about the amps and speakers.

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your budget? How much of your hatch/trunk are you willing to give up? I have always been a fan of MB Quart speakers and JL Audio subs.

Hey, I do alot of live sound too. FOH baby!

anyway, check out crutchfield.com. They can help you with everything and sometimes they have awesome sales. I have had nothing but good experiences from them.

Hey, I do alot of live sound too. FOH baby!

anyway, check out crutchfield.com. They can help you with everything and sometimes they have awesome sales. I have had nothing but good experiences from them.

Well.... i'd like to spent less than 300 for now. I realize thats not very much to work with, but i only make 8 bucks an hour. I might end up doing this in sections. I've found a couple cd players i like for a little over 100. The sub and amp are the next on the list and i have about 200 left to do those.

I really dont want to use up all my trunk room. I only want one sub. Nothing too huge, i want clarity over power.

BTW..... Live sound rocks!

sub box w/speaker moved...

Thanks for the offer, ill definatley keep that in mind. Still shopping around right now. I'll let you know.

ok, gotta move it to the 4sale forum... thanks :)

i am a big fan of alpine. if you are looking for a good sub/amp combo for cheap, check out an alpine type r sub and a matching alpine v-power amp. you could go with the 400w amp and that sub in either a 10" or 12" and it would sound great. for the best deals on car audio, i would check out ebay and look at reputable sellers.

personally i like the kicker compsVR. and if you get a good head unit it will sound good. i am using 2 12" and a JVC amp which is hard to find and my system cost me 1200 but for around 150 1 sub, 75 for box, and about 100 to 150 for an amp.

if your that much into clarity, a component system is the way to go (IMO). JL Audio might be out of your Budget, but some infinity kappa's or even reference series will be more bang for your buck.

It'll be tough to the do the whole thing (stereo, speakers, amps, sub) for $300. You might be best off getting the radio and speakers for now, then deal with the sub and amp situation later. Components are the way to go on speakers, but for a budget, it's tough to beat drop-in 6x8's.

You can save your space and some money too by replacing the woofer itself with a 6.5" or 8" replacement, and sticking it in the stock enclosure. JL makes the 6W0 (6.5") and 8W0 (8") that will fit in there and even work with the stock amp. If you'd rather get a woofer that will handle more power, you can still throw in some aftermarket 8's that aren't too deep. Just an idea vs. fabbing up a sub box.

Thanks for the imput guys. Something came up and i might be getting another car soon, so this might be put on hold for awhile.

LOL.... no i might be buying a jeep but id be keeping the explorer

Www.woofersetc.com is worth checking out. Profile has a good rep as a budget Amp, and for $100ish you can get a 4 channel that will drive a decent sub and front components. CDT components also have a good rep and can be had for $100-130 from the same site. Throw in a decent deck that isnt full of extra bells and whistles for another $120 and call it a day. Ive done a lot of reading on car audio as of late, as I want to get rid of my Alpline 12s that are in my mustang to get my trunk back. My explorer has an alpine deck that I put in, came with 2 way clarion in the front doors, RF 2 ways in the back doors, and I put in a cheap legacy sub in the factory location along with an amp I got off Amazon. It sounds better than stock and suits me fine for a beater. Should be finally on the road this summer

Back