Time for tires | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for all your opinions. I think I will go with the BFG’s. I can get really good deal from Costco. Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all your opinions. I think I will go with the BFG’s. I can get really good deal from Costco. Thx

I had forgotten about BFG’s at Costco. They made a change fairly recently about outside tires. Basically they will not touch tires unless you purchased from them except for maybe N2 top off and possibly patch/plug. My Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s we’re grandfathered in even though they were purchased from TR. Costco did the mount/balance and follow on rotations but no more.

Costco is a good choice in my book. Free rotation AND Balance not just rotation, Nitrogen fill and I have had very good luck over the years with them. I had a patch and plug. They couldn’t get to it that night but they took it in the bay, removed the patch/plug victim, swapped the spare on that corner, and I was on my way. Called me the next morning telling me it was done and did the reverse after pick up!

They don't seem to list that one anymore.

Peter
Agree not sure why.i really liked this not only for the price but they have deeper threads which on my 20 inch digs better in snow and icy conditions.
they are quite too. I even took it on some dried river bed . They perform better in snow and mild sand better the hanooks and goodyear i had before.

I had my original Hankooks replaced @ ~63k miles with Premier LTX's.

The first thing I noticed with the LTX's was that they were louder than my 'worn out' Hankooks.
Ride comfort was about the same.

In the winter, the LTX's destroyed the Hankooks. Hankooks were never good in the snow, and the LTX's were a huge improvement.

I now have almost 30k miles on the LTX's and I think the last time they were checked, they were down to 6/32 (or so).
If I remember right, they only came with 8.5/32, so they didn't have much tread in the first place.
Looks like they now have a 'DT' (different tread) version with 10/32. Might be worth looking into.

I had my original Hankooks replaced @ ~63k miles with Premier LTX's.

The first thing I noticed with the LTX's was that they were louder than my 'worn out' Hankooks.
Ride comfort was about the same.

In the winter, the LTX's destroyed the Hankooks. Hankooks were never good in the snow, and the LTX's were a huge improvement.

I now have almost 30k miles on the LTX's and I think the last time they were checked, they were down to 6/32 (or so).
If I remember right, they only came with 8.5/32, so they didn't have much tread in the first place.
Looks like they now have a 'DT' (different tread) version with 10/32. Might be worth looking into.
Thank you for the noise comparison, very helpful.

Well, I've spent nearly 6 hours reading this thread and I've narrowed down my choice to 1) Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, 2) Michelin Defender LTX M/S, and 3) Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S for my '16 stock sport rims. My priorities are 1a) QUIET and 1b) better snow handling. I live in California but make trips to the Sierra's during winter. I don't want a separate summer/winter set but would like good snow traction with the quietest tire I can get.

I see lots of comments on the Duelers and Defenders but few comments on the Cooper's. I have Coopers on a classic vet and love them. Way different that an SUV but I've heard from others that Coopers are a great tire that has never gotten the reputation it deserves. Comments anyone?

Well, I've spent nearly 6 hours reading this thread and I've narrowed down my choice to 1) Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, 2) Michelin Defender LTX M/S, and 3) Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S for my '16 stock sport rims. My priorities are 1a) QUIET and 1b) better snow handling. I live in California but make trips to the Sierra's during winter. I don't want a separate summer/winter set but would like good snow traction with the quietest tire I can get.

I see lots of comments on the Duelers and Defenders but few comments on the Cooper's. I have Coopers on a classic vet and love them. Way different that an SUV but I've heard from others that Coopers are a great tire that has never gotten the reputation it deserves. Comments anyone?

Be careful with those Alenza's if you like a smooth ride. I'm very particular about that - own a roadforce tire balancer as a result of it. :) Those are VERY hard tires - that's what helps them give you a 70k warranty. Not a bad tire for the masses, but if you want a smooth tire? It has to be a softer compound. Something that probably only goes 40-50k, but does well in the rain, is softer and provides a better ride. Snow tires are the best - like marsh mellows! :)

If you want to put your car in drive, set the cruise at 80mph, and look at the passengers head rest - or the drink in your cup holder - and see no shaking? Get a softer tire. From there, make sure the tech will roadforce balance the tires to no more than 10lbs of roadforce. They can/will do that if you ask. You just have to ask and pay for it. It's not that much more! May take a few tires to get there, but it's worth the effort. They just need to match the high/low spot of the rim to the high/low spot of the tire. In doing so, the ride is drastically different. Come to my home and I will show you! :)

Keep all that in mind as you find the best balance (no pun intended :)) for you!
Shumax

Be careful with those Alenza's if you like a smooth ride. I'm very particular about that - own a roadforce tire balancer as a result of it. :) Those are VERY hard tires - that's what helps them give you a 70k warranty. Not a bad tire for the masses, but if you want a smooth tire? It has to be a softer compound. Something that probably only goes 40-50k, but does well in the rain, is softer and provides a better ride. Snow tires are the best - like marsh mellows! :)

If you want to put your car in drive, set the cruise at 80mph, and look at the passengers head rest - or the drink in your cup holder - and see no shaking? Get a softer tire. From there, make sure the tech will roadforce balance the tires to no more than 10lbs of roadforce. They can/will do that if you ask. You just have to ask and pay for it. It's not that much more! May take a few tires to get there, but it's worth the effort. They just need to match the high/low spot of the rim to the high/low spot of the tire. In doing so, the ride is drastically different. Come to my home and I will show you! :)

Keep all that in mind as you find the best balance (no pun intended :)) for you!
Shumax

Great stuff. Not familiar with a roadforce balance but I'll be googling it! Given what you shared, any tire(s) you want to recommend?

Great stuff. Not familiar with a roadforce balance but I'll be googling it! Given what you shared, any tire(s) you want to recommend?

I surely would. I've been tuned into it for 10 years now. It makes a big difference in the ride quality. Proper tire balance can make an average tire ride real smooth if they just take the time to match those spots.

I have my eye on the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus; the Michelin Defender LTX and the Michelin Primacy AS. I'm having a hard time spending money with Michelin as they hosed me on a dry rotting issue. That said, I know their production facilities are top notch and they produce very "true" tires. That said, I'm very good friends with the folks at my local Firestone/Bridgestone retailer. I've used the Ecopia before and it met my needs, well, and went 50k. My retailer has always been happy to bring in 6-8 tires, if needed (rare) to find 4 that produce low road force figures. Again, anything under 10lbs, you just aren't going to feel. Let me "dive" on that a bit...

A typical tire balancer measures for static and dynamic imbalance. That's the balance on the inside and outside plane of a tire. The side to side, "shake," if you will? Roadforce measures the up and down "bounce" on the road. So, the up and down, if you will? Think about that. If you get the side to side and the up and down "off" too much? It's a miserable ride. Look at the headrest of the empty seat to your right as you drive. Is it moving? Look at your drink in the cup holder. See waves in it? Some very minor movement will happen. More than that? Ick.

Static and dynamic imbalance is generally easy to solve. Or, is it? Is the balancer calibrated? Did they perform a centering check to be sure the tire/wheel assembly was centered on the balancer? Stop. Think about that? If it's not perfectly centered? You're trying to balance an egg. You can balance an egg, but it won't roll smooth down the road. Just really stop and think about all of that. It all adds up to a smooth ride. Just like from the day you bought the car new. Car mfg. buy the softest tires they can and then balance them on these state of the art machines. But, that's also why the tires don't last all that long.

Too deep of a dive, I'm sure. I get it. But, if you are tuned into it, you appreciate it. Put simply? Find a shop with the Hunter Road Force balancing machine. From there, ask them if they have a user that really understands how to index tires - matching the high/low spot of the tire to the high/low spot of the rim. You take a dive on a centering check with the user of that machine, and they embrace it? You have a winner. Tip that guy and smile. :)

Watch this video. Not perfect, but close... Road Force Balancing | MotorWeek. Note their use of a "tall" truck tire vs. a lower profile "snow" tire. Not a fair comparison, if you ask me. "Match mounting" is the matching of the high/low spot of the tire to the same on the rim. Regardless, their theory and explanation is sound.

This is good, too. What is road force balance and why is it a better solution?

If I can help, I'm happy to. I know more about this topic than I should. If you are local to me, I'm happy to help with your setup. I have people ride in my car, often, and they look and can't believe I'm going 80mph on the highway. :)

Shumax

BF Goodrich Duelers based on my previous experience. 23.9K and BFG were installed around 2K proper rotate/balance run great. No excessive road noise and smooth ride. Rotate/balance every 6K and Inalso had a alignment package from NTB so not a problem there.

I see the Pirelli Scorpion Verde As a candidate. I would be interested in those results. My 2020 JGC came with OEM Pirelli SV. They are all season but basically a sport performance tire on a SUV may not last as long as advertised. I won’t change them just to change but would probably switch to BFG or Michelin’s if I do.

I have my eye on the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus; the Michelin Defender LTX and the Michelin Primacy AS. I'm having a hard time spending money with Michelin as they hosed me on a dry rotting issue. That said, I know their production facilities are top notch and they produce very "true" tires.

Shumax

I've seen others mention the Ecopia but I haven't found ANY favorable reviews on any website! I see that you've had them before but why all the bad reviews by others?

I've seen others mention the Ecopia but I haven't found ANY favorable reviews on any website! I see that you've had them before but why all the bad reviews by others?

Well, what I found? It was an OEM tire on the Honda CRV. Keep in mind, nearly EVERY MFG. buys a softer tire for a new car. They do that to help keep the ride even smoother so customers' just love their new car even more. In doing that, it doesn't last long - maybe 30k. Guess what that leads to? Unhappy people. My uncle actually had this situation on his CRV. In talking to the folks at my local Firestone, who I am friends with, they verified the same. When you look the 422 PLUS up on Tirerack, you will see a description that says OEM next to the Excopia 422 Plus. Certain sizes are produced that way - as an exact OEM replacement. You will know you have one because, guess what? No warranty. :( That's when I change the size and suddenly? 50k warranty. Ready into it more; I was surprised, too.

I am fanatical about a smooth ride - own my own roadforce tire balancer. :) So, that's paramount to me. I run a set of snow tires in the winter, so I don't care about their abilities in snow/ice. I would tell you I've run two sets of Ecopia 422 Plus's and they are smooth and fine in the rain. What is a bit troubling is that it takes 6 tires for them to get four that are 'round' enough to be acceptable (at least to me) to generate a very smooth ride.

I'm so used to the process, that it doesn't even phase me anymore. As a matter of fact, I'm about to put them on my 2019 in size 265/50/19. Doing this because I like the look, but also because, guess what? 255/50/20 is OEM for some mfg. and that size has no warranty.

Good luck!
Shumax

You're going to put a 19" tire on a 20" wheel? BTW, all OEM tires have some kind of warranty. The Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus has a 5 year tread life and workmanship warranty.

Peter

Anyone with a Sport have the BFG Advantage TA LT that they can posts pics of on stock wheels. Thanks

It looks like it's time for new tires on my 2017 and I was looking at Costco.

The two I am looking at are the Michelin - Defender LTX M/S and the BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A Sport LT

Just not sure which one to get. It seems the Michelin has better reviews.

Looks like I'm in this boat as well. Just looked at my Hankooks and after 21k miles, they look due.

I replaced the same tires on my 16 XLT at about 25K. At that time I got Michelin Premier XLT.

I was looking at Defender LTX, but now considering Hercules Terra Trac Cross-V. Hercules Tires | Hercules Cross-V Terra Trac
Local shop quoted me at $782 out the door. Brand has been around for a long time, made under Cooper, and in the US. Looking for one tire to handle Colorado front range. We won't be tackling anything serious offroad as I'll leave that to my Cherokee. Need something to haul the family safely over long stretches of hwy, snow covered mtn passes, and gravel roads. I don't want to have to store the stock 20" wheels/tires when snows are on and this is a nice option at oem size.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You may be better off with an All Weather tire than a so called All Season.

Peter

It looks like it's time for new tires on my 2017 and I was looking at Costco.

The two I am looking at are the Michelin - Defender LTX M/S and the BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A Sport LT

Just not sure which one to get. It seems the Michelin has better reviews.

Did you make a decision yet? I like the Defenders too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I reached out to my dealer about the Hankook issue and rebate. We’ll see what happens.

Still looking at Michelin. Maybe defender?

Back