• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain issue?

egallus83

Reaction score
City, State
Chisholm, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Chevy Equinox
Hello! I currently have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. It broke down little over a year ago, timing chain went, along with pistons going everywhere... long story short, had to get the whole engine replaced. Finally was able to fix it and got it back around October last year. And what do you know, now it’s got the same thing wrong with it. I really don’t wanna put anymore money into it to fix, $3,000 is enough already lol.
Anyway, I’ve been looking at Explorers. Specifically 2014-2016 Explorer sport. I’ve heard that they also have timing chain issues. Just looking for advice on how often it actually occurs... experience with the engines... any other known problems?? Thanks!

Nope, But the eco boost likes to play the same trick the old chrysler intrepeds did and their internal water pump, much like the one chrysler was taken to court over likes to blow the seal and fill the crank case with water destroying the entire engine.

Nope, But the eco boost likes to play the same trick the old chrysler intrepeds did and their internal water pump, much like the one chrysler was taken to court over likes to blow the seal and fill the crank case with water destroying the entire engine.

There's a possibility that the internal water will fail and flood the engine with coolant, yes.

Chrysler intrepid 2.7, OH BOY!! My aunt had one of those that let go around 130k, many let go well before that. I'm assuming your equinox has a 3.0 or 3.6, which the motor are known to have timing issues. Stay away from GM 2010ish and up. Quality ain't what it used to be. I own an 03 3.4 grand am with 214k on it. Old stuff was pretty decent.

Back