Timing Chain Broke. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Broke.

bryns02explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Jane Lew, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
The timing chain broke in my 2002 Explorer that has the big 4.0l engine. My question was if anyone knows if there is a cheap fix for this as far as replacing the chain or is it a valve bender and I would prolly be better off just replacing the whole engine.

which chain?

There are 3 timing chains on the 4.0L SOHC V6 that are associated with timing. The main one is located in the front lower part of the engine and connects the crankshaft to a jackshaft. There is a front upper timing chain that connects the jackshaft to the driver side camshaft. There is another upper timing chain in the rear that connects the jackshaft to the passenger side camshaft. Some engines also have another timing chain in the lower front that drives a balance shaft.

How did you determine that your timing chain was broken and didn't just slip? Did you remove the valve covers and manually rotate the engine to see if the camshafts turn? If not, I suggest that you do. First you should remove the spark plugs to reduce the effort to turn the crank. Disconnect the battery and rotate the crank manually clockwise a very small amount while watching the camshafts. If both camshafts move then no chains are broken. If you feel any binding stop immediately because you could have a piston pushing against an open valve. Do not rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise because if the tensioner is broken then the chain can slip further.

Back