Timing Chain Tensioners - Purchasing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Tensioners - Purchasing

No gaskets at all. Double checked. Checked on block and tensioner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boy that's strange. Check your new and old tensioners make sure they are identical at the threaded end and where the gasket goes.

Identical. I went with Cloyes

OK, quick torque question....
I cant get int there with anything but my TQ wrench with a 2ft extension. I got it to torque at 32 lb/ft but will it be accurate with that long extension? It's all I have to work with.

The extension will not change the torque reading.

Those thin washers are hard to come by (mostly a dealer item), and easy to bend/destroy. The prior owner/tech probably bent or otherwise trashed the originals and didn't have any to replace with, so just used some rthread compound or something. There's a small oil passage very close to the top of the threads, so be careful if you use anything (e.g., to stop tackle an oil leak) that you do not block that oil port.

I had a leak on one of my tensioners after replacing (I think it was the rear one). Following advice I found on the forum (maybe a post by StreetRod2000?), I ordered a rubberized washer for that tensioner. It eventually worked, but wasn't really suited to the torque required. Use the thin washers (and get an extra one or two if you can from dealer) if at all possible.

Back