• Register Today It's free!

Tips on polishing stock rims?

bradh8

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hi everybody! Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/tips/advice on the best way to polish rims? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best way to polish rims?

My 1994 factory alloy wheels are clear coated. I use Simple Green or Krud Kutter and have nice results. I do not use any abrasives.

I have always just used Windex or Invisible Glass, and remove with paper towel.

Sonax wheel cleaner is supposed to be really good according to the detailer guys.

Thanks, guys! Weather depending, im headed to the car wash next couple days ... im guessing one could find Sonax at Napa or Auto Zone? Or online at worst... overall my rims look pretty good, but 2 of them have like a small spattering of "dull" stain that drives me nuts! Lol .. CheddarDan's mention of clearcoat makes me wonder if my dull "stain" is worn/missing clearcoat? Hmmmm....

After your done cleaning them up. Put some sealant on, to protect them from brake dust.

Chemical Guys make great wheel cleaners.....
20170405_091358.jpg

20170325_145601.jpg

I have used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish on some neglected junkyard American Racing alloys. Clear coat was garbage. Took A LOT of elbow grease, but they turned out to almost mirror finish. They required a lot of regular cleanings though. I would just run them during summer also. One year, I left them mounted too close to winter, and caught some bad weather. I just took them off and stored them. When I took them out the next year, they were corroded again, and required another job with the Mother's :rant:

I have used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish on some neglected junkyard American Racing alloys. Clear coat was garbage. Took A LOT of elbow grease, but they turned out to almost mirror finish. They required a lot of regular cleanings though. I would just run them during summer also. One year, I left them mounted too close to winter, and caught some bad weather. I just took them off and stored them. When I took them out the next year, they were corroded again, and required another job with the Mother's :rant:
Ah-ha, cool ...cool .... I wonder if a simple rattle-can acrylic clear coat deal afterwards would help with longevity?

Ah-ha, cool ...cool .... I wonder if a simple rattle-can acrylic clear coat deal afterwards would help with longevity?

Probably, but I wondered how they would turn out, or if a clear coat would even stick after I polished them...

But spring snow has halted my detailing activities

Back