Tire manufacture dates | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire manufacture dates

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep,
With summer comming, I also believe that the more intense sunlight and heat really ages a tar.

I know how I am going to pay for all my projects! I am going to pick through tires until I find the oldest ones, and when they blow out on me, the resulting lawsuit will allow me to have all three cars finished within months! Thanks for the very handy information. (Don't steal my plan, I thought of it first)

Just remember me in tha will if you get dead doing it!:)LOL

I have a chicken I could will to you. Other than that I don't have much more than a laptop, two old cars, a mountaineer, and a fish tank. But I don't think I will die, I am invincible in my gnarly seat belt. I even have a fuzzy sheepy shoulder thing, and that has got to give me like +10 points!

http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ticking-time-bombs

Hope I can help someone with this. I found the tires on my other car are 5 years old. In the process of replacing them to be sure their safe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the tires only unsafe if they have sat on the shelf for a long time? I believe most tires in use should be good for 10 years per Strategic Safety, a group pushing NHTSA to set expiration dates for tires. If you just bought these tires and they are 5 years old, then you may have some concern. If you've been driving on them for a couple years there is no worry to continue to drive on the tires.

Thats a good point, Umm, mine are right at five years old and cracking where the tread comes out of the tire. I think this is from heat, age and sun damage. I dont think Im ready let them go much longer. What I get from the article is that no matter what a tire looks like on the outside, rubber ages and rot's from the inside out also causing failure. I do really think that summer heat and highway speeds are harder on tires. I see much more people with flats on the highway in the summer than in the winter.
Im going to install two of my new tars on Tues. I'll see if I can get any more info.

I see much more people with flats on the highway in the summer than in the winter.
info.

Perhaps because there are more people on the highway in the summer than in the winter.

Perhaps because there are more people on the highway in the summer than in the winter.

Heat is an enemy of rubber. Are the tires you are replacing at their mileage? Being in Virginia, it's not like your tires are exposed to extreme heat year round. Do you store the car that shows cracking on the tires during the winter months? I'm surprised that you would exhibit that after only 5 years. Manufacturers can let the tires sit on their shelf up to 6 years before they have to dispose of them.

Nah,
I drive both all year. The longest it sits is a week or two if the weather gets bad. Im not unhappy with the years and mileage that are on the tires. I usually take three or four trips a summer and would rather not have a tire failure away from home on a Sunday, with just a doughnut to get me home.

Back