• Register Today It's free!

Tire monitor fault

kingman109

Reaction score
City, State
Miramichi, NB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
Got the big orange light stating "Tire Monitor Fault". How do I find out which one is malfuntioning? I might try to wait it out for a bit to see if it fixes itself. Any ideas except taking it to Ford so they can rape me for $300.00 plus?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are your tire pressures where they need to be?

Yes. When they are low, it will tell me which one is low. all it says is "TIRE MONITOR FAULT"

Mine comes on once in a while. Like yesterday. Usually if I shut it off and restart it, when I get a chance and not in the middle of the highway, it will turn off. Like it did yesterday. I don't know of a way to find out which one it is although if there is a Ford tech reading this they may be able to tell us how. I know there is some super-secret stuff you can do with the Gen 2 dash display.

I use a fancy high tech tool to check my tire pressure when the low tire warning pops up.
A pressure guage. The tire in question may not look under pressure as the warning occurs when pressure drops to 30psi.
Warning will still be on guage panel on start up till a few miles have been driven.

All tires sitting at 35psi COLD including spare. My Spare was at 17 lbs. i figured it would settle it but it didnt. drove it 20kms and it is still doing it. i do have the full size spare so i was told it also had pressure monitoring. Back to the drawing board. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem - went to the dealer and he tried to reset the sensor in the tire, they had a remote sensor reset tool almost like a garage remote - turned out to be defective and replaced the sensor under warentee - strap that holds sensor to rim broke and sensor was loose in the tire and got dammaged rolling around inside of the tire. Good luck

This is the way to train the system for new TPMS sensors for 2004

With this type of sensors

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE"

for 2006 and above with this type of sensors

you need TPMS remote instead of the magnet

Press and release the brake pedal.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", press the button on the remote (it will light) and pass it over the circumference of the rim in the opposite side of the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
Within two minutes after the horn sounds, press the button on the remote (it will light) and pass it over the circumference of the rim in the opposite side of the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE"

All fixed. It was a sensor gone bad. He put the snap in style back in and then retrained the system just like indicated above. Start to finish, $85.00 (canadian)

Went to tire shop, he installed a new sensor in the one that was bad. It was the snap in style that he replaced it with, not the bad style. when he was finished, he reprogrammed all the tires and voila, fixed. total cost....$83.00. the sensor was $65 plus tax.

Memory is fuzzy, but last year I had a flat tire when we were on vacation and put the spare on for a couple of days. I'm pretty sure the tire warning light was on the whole time indicating that the spare does not have a monitor...or if it does, it has to be calibrated into the system.

Ended up buying a new Firestone while we were in FL. Didn't want to risk driving home to PA with no spare.

At first i was told there "might" be a monitor in the spare........turns out that there is "not" a monitor in the spare.

My sensors are ALL good. I have gotten Low Tire Pressure warning light. I get the Tire Monitor Fault light and about 10 minutes later the Tire Sensor Fault light. Went to the dealer and they checked them out. No one can tell me where the receiver for the TPMS system is,NOT even Ford. Does anyone KNOW, not suspect,believe,or think,where it is? And, NO it's not in the SJB

My sensors are ALL good. I have gotten Low Tire Pressure warning light. I get the Tire Monitor Fault light and about 10 minutes later the Tire Sensor Fault light. Went to the dealer and they checked them out. No one can tell me where the receiver for the TPMS system is,NOT even Ford. Does anyone KNOW, not suspect,believe,or think,where it is? And, NO it's not in the SJB
any after market parts? radio? usb chargers? TVs? known issues with other devices putting off EMI and causing communication issues.
only the ford oem and i think orange brand strapless are know to work reliable. your mileage may vary.

Back