Tire size change

bschnur

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeville, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer XLT
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2010 Explorer with stock tires on. They are 245/65/17. I want to upgrade to maybe 265/65/17's.

The truck has the towing package, so it has 3.73 gears with the 4.0 6 cyl.

The current stock tires have a dia of 29.5 and the bigger size have a Dia of 30.6
Stock Rev's per mile are 683 and 660 on the bigger tire. It's only a 1 inch bigger tire in diameter and about 1 inch wider.

The truck currently does about 2000 RPM in OD at 65 mph with the stock size tires. Do you think the 1 inch taller tire will effect performance very much? Maybe I can go still a little bigger without a performance decrease??

Anyone have this size and how did it affect the truck performance?? Thanks

It depends on what you use the vehicle for. Going to a larger tire will lower the RPM's at cruising speed so in theory it should improve your fuel economy. I think (off the top of my head) that going to that tire size with the 3.73 rear end essentially is like having the 3.55 rear end on the vehicle. So, unless you actually use the extra towing capacity that the 3.73 gears affords you then you will not miss it. Search over in the modified section to see what others have done in terms of tire size etc.

I run 265/75/16 mud terrain tires and I get 13.2 mpg

Ok, thanks! With my current stock set up and the 3.73 gears I am getting only 15.8 to 16.0 highway/rural mileage.

Back