TMH Hardware.....use THESE instead | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TMH Hardware.....use THESE instead

I finally got around to installing the passenger side header...it took a LITTLE longer to tighten all the bolts on this one...2 minutes longer!...LOL

Check the time stamp on the 3 following images...12 minutes, start to finish, taking my time...but there is 1 bolt that is NEARLY impossible to tighen with standard hardware. It took me about 1 minute to tighten this bolt alone.

Ryan

Attachments

• PassengerNoHeader.jpg
    PassengerNoHeader.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 412
  • PassengerHeaderInstalled1.jpg
    PassengerHeaderInstalled1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 409
  • PassengerHeaderInstalled2.jpg
    PassengerHeaderInstalled2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 415

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u have to order coil boots and they dont have the at summit. http://www.kingsbornewires.com They are EDIS boots $16 for 10 and DT7B-HB Distributor Terminal $ 3.75 for 10 Hope this helps. The ceramic plug wire boots work great for me.;)

Thanks for the part #'s, they helped a lot. I just put a set on today. This is the third set of wires I have put on here in the last year and hopefully the last. How are yours holding up?

Thanks for the part #'s, they helped a lot. I just put a set on today. This is the third set of wires I have put on here in the last year and hopefully the last. How are yours holding up?

i have about 15k on mine STILL WORKING GREAT, They do get hot

That reminds me. I got me a set of these header bolts and in the package they remain. I`ll have to do something about that. :D

Did anyone have an answer to that stud bolt that holds the dip stick in place? IIRC that wasn't the hardest one to bolt in compared to the others ESPECIALLY the pass. side. Good grief!!

I just got a 1/4" longer bolt, and double washer'd (is that a word?) it, with the dipstick tube inbetween the washers...

Ryan

I see. I just got these for my engine build yesterday and started test fitting them on the old heads with the headers. Still seems on the pass. side a few are hard to reach with just the socket. And it sucks because I don't have a ratcheting wrench in that size. I did notice these things get TIGHT though. so once they're in there its gonna be one snug fit.

I used a 1/4" drive 5/16" socket and a LOT of extensions, as seen in one of my pics. That allowed me to do most of the work from the outside of the vehicle, working through the wheel well.

You can buy the 5/16" ratcheting wrench individually from Sears....it is worth it!

Ryan

Look at my pics above.....Passenger side, done and TIGHT in 12 minutes. I used the 1/4" drive socket described above, and a 5/16" ratcheting wrench. That is all.

These bolts, Those tools.....BEST set-up. Period.

Ryan

Awesome stuff! I may have to pic up that ratcheting wrench for this then.

I put headers on a couple of months ago using this hardware, and I have to keep retightening everything and I'm not sure why. I've retightened everything 3 or 4 times now. It varies how loose the bolts get, but one of them got so loose I could turn it by hand. I've had so many problems with these headers it's ridiculous, and this is one of the problems that I haven't been able to fix. Has anyone used any bolt locking hardware with these?

since my last post on here, i was able to get a set from bob when i did my motor swap. i put them on the motor, and slid it in with the headers on. i then drove to PA (which is a 27 hour drive ONE WAY, and drove for 18 hours strait one day going there, and 18 hours another day going home) and back. have put around 10, 000 kms since i did the motor swap. i have had two bolts, both on #5 cyl. back off to finger tight, and thats it.

I remember a while back a few years ago one bolt between cylinder 6 and 7 actually fell all the way out once and was missing. Since it was in a tighter spot I never bothered replacing it and just double checked the torque on the surrounding ones. It never leaked at all the whole time until when I pulled the motor out. Ha, so these things have a huge tendency to work themselves loose. Once my heads come back I will be able to bolt the headers back in using these hardware. I got a 5/6'' ratchet wrench to help. Hoping for good results

Guess I'm not as lucky as you guys. I need to find a solution for this. Need to replace my 2 month old gaskets, probably because the bolts loosened up and blew the gaskets. These headers have made me hate my truck.

Back