• Register Today It's free!

To Torque Converter or not?

thanna

Reaction score
City, State
Olando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 91 Ranger 2wd 4.0L with the A4LD. I pulled the transmission out due to 2 common problems. No OD and slow engagement in drive and reverse. The OD problem was easy, the apply stut for the OD band was broke. (Kind if a different twist on an old problem)

Before I started, I thought that I had a bad torque converter, but after reading some posts here, I am not sure. While removing the trans I found the vacumm line to the modulator unplugged. I replaced the modulator (may not have had to) and did a valve body Transgo kit upgrade and replaced the seals in the low/reverse servo.

My question is. Do I still need to replace the torque converter? I would rather not spend the money if that was not my problem. This truck is a daily commuter only, very rarely used for hauling.

None of your problems sound like a bad TC to me.

The most common time that the torque converter is replaced is when doing an entire rebuild. You wouldn't want to reuse an old torque converter on a newly rebuilt transmission. It could have stuff caught inside of it that could get pushed back into the newly rebuilt transmission as well as old fluid which didn't completely drain.

Back
Top Bottom