• Register Today It's free!

Too many noises.....

Darrman

Reaction score
City, State
Waxahachie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
I am getting sick of all the noises in my X, I have no radio right now, and its very quite with the windows rolled up.
I have been getting a rattle whenever I change directions of the driveshaft, rear only, whenever I put some stress on the driveshaft. I am also getting this horrible shuddering SOMETIMES when I am stop and go-ing through town, at first I thought it was me not getting the clutch and gas mix right, but I know its not me now. It comes and goes, but when it starts, it wont stop, its driving me fricken nuts, the only thing that will make it quit is to squeal the tires a bit, bad for truck tho. The trans and clutch are brand new, less than a couple months old, so it cant be that, so it must be the UJ's, rear axle is not leaking either. I went and bought some new ones tonite, so it looks like I got something to do this weekend.
I am also getting a loud pop/clunk that I cant tell where its coming from, SOMETIMES it happens whenever I back up or when hitting the brakes kinda hard. I just rebuilt the front brakes this weekend, new rotors, repacked everything, new pads, calipers were in good shape. The back drums I dont know about yet, I tried pulling the tire and drum off to look, the drum would NOT come off, even after smacking it with a hammer all around the outer ring. I had to give up till someother time, anybody had this kind of problem before?
I also have the noisest damn P.S. pump, I have read everybody's comments about em, so I guess I am not the only one. However on my '91, when I put a bottle of lucas p.s pump seal conditioner, it cut the noise in half. now I also replaced the front seal and return line at the same time, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I doubt it. Has anybody else tried this stuff?

I think your right on th U-joints being your issue. Should solve your clunk noise. I only did my rear due to budjet constraints. If you have the cassh, might as well get them both in 1 shot.

Not getting the rear drum off means your calipers inside are extended too far out. You may have to adjust them in with a screwdriver or that funny hook looking screwdriver. Your shoes probably cut a groove in the drum & made a lip on the edge.

Your pop/clunk could be related to the brake problem if the calipers are too far out. You may have one of them hanging / grabbing. Might be a good idea to grab one at the parts store when you do the back brakes, but make sure they will take it back if you don't need it.

PS fluid 'miracle fix' stuff I have a bad time with that. Still trying to figure out my own leak. Lost about a bottle a week, then tried some stop leak product. Well now I lose a bottle & 1/2 a week. Odd. Think the front seal of the gearbox is shot & I did more damage then good.

My PS pump is noisy as well, but I believe it's because of my leak. When it screams, it's time for more fluid. Solved this by installing a LOUD radio :)

Walter

I used to get a loud pop/clunk sound coming from the front end whenever I went into reverse and then back into forward. Turned out it was the radius arms were bouncing around in their little hole thing. I put new bushings on and it was great.

if you have a rear SOA using the superlift SOA kit thats the sound of the brackets sliding back and fourth inside the old spring perch.

The bang/pop sound when changing directions or braking hard I mean.

Back