took delivery on Friday! & question about wi-fi | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

took delivery on Friday! & question about wi-fi

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
Hello!
Just picked up yesterday our '11XLT FWD rapid spec 202A with tow package and cross bars, very happy overall! Color is silver with the grey/tan interior.

I understand that a feature on these vehicles is that you can turn them into a mobile wi-fi hot spot... How do you do that? I read somewhere something about connecting your phone to the inside of your glove box, but there is no port in there! Anybody got this feature to work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello!
Just picked up yesterday our '11XLT FWD rapid spec 202A with tow package and cross bars, very happy overall! Color is silver with the grey/tan interior.

I understand that a feature on these vehicles is that you can turn them into a mobile wi-fi hot spot... How do you do that? I read somewhere something about connecting your phone to the inside of your glove box, but there is no port in there! Anybody got this feature to work?
see page 53, Wireless & Internet, of the MyFord Touch, MyLincoln Touch Supplement. This is one of several booklets that you should have received with your Ex.

There is no port inside the glovebox to connect a phone. It's done through bluetooth.

see page 53, Wireless & Internet, of the MyFord Touch, MyLincoln Touch Supplement. This is one of several booklets that you should have received with your Ex.
thanks, yesI did check page 53 and I tried setting it up in MFT. The only question is, can I do it all in the vehicle along with the phone? or do I have to somehow link the phone to the wifi set-up via www.syncmyride.com?
My blackberry phone is already paired with the MFT for phone calls, and it seems to work OK, but I just can't figure out how to start the wireless router!

Help!, my family with their ipods will be happy if I can get this to work!
Can somebody that actually did it shed some light?
Thanks,

You connect the phone like you would with any other bluetooth device. You just have to be in the car to connect it.

There is a list of devices that will work with the wifi hotspot feature. Basically there are usb devices that when plugged into a laptop provide that laptop with internet connectivity through a service provider such as VerizonWireless. If you have one of those devices that is compatible you can stick it in the usb and your X will be able to become a WiFi access point allowing multiple devices to use the internet from that single usb wifi device. The other option is to use a smartphone that has a wifi hotspot feature.

There is a list of devices that will work with the wifi hotspot feature. Basically there are usb devices that when plugged into a laptop provide that laptop with internet connectivity through a service provider such as VerizonWireless. If you have one of those devices that is compatible you can stick it in the usb and your X will be able to become a WiFi access point allowing multiple devices to use the internet from that single usb wifi device. The other option is to use a smartphone that has a wifi hotspot feature.
Thanks, so it's not as simple as pairing my blackberry curve to the SYNC and then being able to pick-up the wifi in the vehicle with a wifi capable device, say an ipod touch? I guess I either have to have that usb device or make sure that my blackberry has the capability to turn into a wi-fi hot spot? did I understand correctly?
I tried to connect the ipod, but I have wifi on the explorer has a secured connection for a WEP, WAP and I can't remember the third option...

The Explorer can only utilize an available internet connection it does not provide internet on its own. It can also attach to a wifi connection like a laptop would.not sure what it can do with it but it can connect.

Back