Tooling up for body work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tooling up for body work

I'm preparing for my first actual metal panel replacement. I have done fiberglass/bondo and it came out ok, but I'm looking at some pretty bad rocker panels and they will need serious work.

There are a couple of really excellent threads on this procedure, actually, they are one reason why I am doing this, it doesn't really look that difficult. So, I am going to start buying tools, and would like opinions and recommendations.

The welder I am looking at is a Lincoln MIG/Gas

I have angle grinders and such, I was thinking about doing prep with a sandblaster. I would actually be buying a similar tank type from the local pawn for $100.

Paint will be spray can primer and I'm thinking some kind of liquid bedliner material. Thoughts on that?

I'm trying to get this all set up in advance because the summer months are short in MN and this is hardly my only project. Any and all advice welcome and appreciated!

Practice on some sheet metal you dont care about. I tried welding sheet metal for the first time and spent three days burning through my panel and about three more Weeks to learn how to weld sheet metal decently enough to get by with filling it in with bondo

I love my Lincoln welder. I have the handy mig (I think that's what its called). Just sucks I can only flux weld right now. I need to get some tanks and well, have been slacking for the last year and a half on that. I got pretty good at welding w/out them, eventually tho, on the "to get list"...

As stated, you will have some burn throughs and will need to dial in you're welder.. always try to start your weld on the thickest piece of metal to help prevent that. Also, take you're time and go slow w/the tacking and the final "burn". Sheet metal will warp fast if you're not careful..... Tip/example: top left corner, bottom right corner, top right corner, bottom left corner, middle of each, more tacking, then connect the dots... take you're time man, take you're time..... at least in my case tho as I flux weld. Mig is much easier on sheet metal, cleaner too, but you still need to go slow. Always good to have a air hose next to you to cool off metal as you tack/burn in pieces.

Also look into getting some Weld thru primer (use before welding) helps w/the welding process, also protects metal in case you are not working on it from start to finish in one day....

Doing your prep w/a sandblaster would be ideal. To get in all the crevices and such obviously. Sandblast about 2-3" past the rusted area then clean area good and hit w/the weld thru primer right after its clean to seal up the bare metal..

Also good to have a air chisel for the spot welds. Makes it a little easier...

Ill keep a eye on this thread in case you have more questions or need advise. Im not a body work or metal fab expert, but I have done my fair share over the last 4yrs.

I love my Lincoln welder. I have the handy mig (I think that's what its called). Just sucks I can only flux weld right now. I need to get some tanks and well, have been slacking for the last year and a half on that. I got pretty good at welding w/out them, eventually tho, on the "to get list"...

As stated, you will have some burn throughs and will need to dial in you're welder.. always try to start your weld on the thickest piece of metal to help prevent that. Also, take you're time and go slow w/the tacking and the final "burn". Sheet metal will warp fast if you're not careful..... Tip/example: top left corner, bottom right corner, top right corner, bottom left corner, middle of each, more tacking, then connect the dots... take you're time man, take you're time..... at least in my case tho as I flux weld. Mig is much easier on sheet metal, cleaner too, but you still need to go slow. Always good to have a air hose next to you to cool off metal as you tack/burn in pieces.

Also look into getting some Weld thru primer (use before welding) helps w/the welding process, also protects metal in case you are not working on it from start to finish in one day....

Doing your prep w/a sandblaster would be ideal. To get in all the crevices and such obviously. Sandblast about 2-3" past the rusted area then clean area good and hit w/the weld thru primer right after its clean to seal up the bare metal..

Also good to have a air chisel for the spot welds. Makes it a little easier...

Ill keep a eye on this thread in case you have more questions or need advise. Im not a body work or metal fab expert, but I have done my fair share over the last 4yrs.

Well I am not sure where Roadrunner777 is these days but here goes a thread high-jacking I guess. I know I just got to keep up with practicing, put it down for to long and my welds got sloppy again. I am actually making a sand blaster right now and I am going to have to try and using the air to cool the metal... in the past I have had issues with warping, major bummer... also I know what definitely not to do while weld sheet metal lol. Also have a Lincoln welder too (great welder)but as far as dialing back on the weld temp... low as it will go and any slower of the wire speed will spatter and not make good welds, oh well I guess

four post spanning two + years.

Interesting...

Back