• Register Today It's free!

Torn Dust boot upper ball joint

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
I was greasing my truck the other day and noticed a torn dust boot on my rigt upper ball joint. I replaced this joint only a few years ago with a NAPA MRC 104230. Do you think they will sell a new boot for this, or do I need a whole new ball joint?

I have to do my left upper and lower ball joints this spring, and it would be easy to do the right one with the torn boot. I will need a wheel alignment anyway. Or can I just leave it alone and hope it lasts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your keeping the truck, and doing a bunch of front end work anyway, id change the joint.

they don't just sell the boot, i'd just replace it

they don't just sell the boot, i'd just replace it

They do sell replacement boots... Sometimes they are hard to come by and I want to say they are around $10 bucks or so depending on the size..Just google balljoint boot and hundreds of listing will show..

They def sell the boot as I have done them before on vehicles. If you plan on doing serious suspension work, and that joint is already a few years old then I would probably change it. Otherwise, if all is well, just grease and replace the boot.

Balljoint I picked up from NAPA is guaranteed for life. Had a torn boot this past summer, replaced ball joint no questions asked.

Balljoint I picked up from NAPA is guaranteed for life. Had a torn boot this past summer, replaced ball joint no questions asked.

That's good news...Did you have to take the old one in first? I bought this ball joint in Detroit in 2006. (installed in 08) MRC is the economy part line and may not have the warranty

Does it have to go back to the same location?

That's good news...Did you have to take the old one in first? I bought this ball joint in Detroit in 2006. (installed in 08) MRC is the economy part line and may not have the warranty

Does it have to go back to the same location?

Yeah to both, and it was their "premium" part.
I did have the original receipt, that helped.

Daystar KU13028BK are a perfect fit. The F-150 and Expedition use the same ball joint as the Explorer. They also come in red, and yellow but are more expensive.

Boot dimensions

Hi, could someone tell me the dimensions of the upper ball joint boot? I have a tiny crack and grease leak, but I am pretty sure the joint is not damaged, and there is no play. Upper arm is $500 here, and then I need a realignment. Boots are available, if I knew the upper ID, lower ID and height.

Regards,

Marvial

:exp:

Back