• Register Today It's free!

Tow hook question/roof rack

crazy933

Reaction score
City, State
joliet, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I wanted to go the bone yard and get some tow hooks off an explorer/expedition or f150 for my Explorer. I wanted to know if anyone knew what size wreches or sockets i would need. I don't want to lug around all my tools if i dont need too.

Also what other years/or model roof rack cross bars would fit an 04 explorer?
what tools would i need to remove them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

geeze, my bolts are aftermarket on my tow hooks (grade 10.9), so i couldnt tell you, my money is on a 13-15mm range, just take a good metric set with you and you should be safe.

There are quite a few roof rack's that are designed jus for the explorer, id look into those. the roof rack itself comes off very easy.

What are these things made of? I took them off and they weigh like 2 pounds. I took a wire brush to them and they look like aluminum or magnesium, not heavy steel like i was expecting. They are one pice cast.

iron I believe. Pleanty strong too. I've saved quite a few vehicles with mine.

this is not steel or iron.

mine certainly are somthing heavy. Mine are like 5 to 8 lbs. Came off an expidition..

i found these of an 97 f150 4x4, I wonder how functional they are

wierd, how much did you end up paying for them? see if you can find some off of an expidition... mine are very well made, and HEAVY..iron with out doubt (they rust very fast when the paint gets chipped).

Yeah, I added factory tow loops to my explorer, got them from ford. They had a bit of rust where some of the paint had been knocked off, so I know they are some type of iron.

IMGP1346.jpg

these are from an 98' f-150 4x4 i had.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276529

those look just like the ones i got. are they iron/steel or aluminum. I will see if i can see the part number on mine and see if it mathces the ones in the pictures

those look just like the ones i got. are they iron/steel or aluminum. I will see if i can see the part number on mine and see if it mathces the ones in the pictures

Pull a magnet off your fridge and see if it sticks

I didnt have that piece that the two bolts screw into .

I just ran to the hardware store and got some grade 8,1/2 inch bolts ( i think 2 1/2 inchs long) and some grade 5 serrated nuts. I forget if i used any washers.

the magnet did not stick, I wonder what the tow rating weight capacity is on them if they are aluminum.

a magnet sticks to the ones from my f-150 and they weigh a couple of pounds a piece . they are some kind of casting. are the lightweight ones a closed loop or an open hook ? you would think if they are factory that is one of the things ford seems to over engineer . when the cast ones were on my truck i used them hard. i know the same kind used to be on the expeditions also.........

I think I may have access to a few sets of tow hooks. PM me if you're interested and I'll see if my source checks out.

Back