Tow One Explorer With Another Explorer ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow One Explorer With Another Explorer ?

I've got a [likely hair-brained] idea and [probably dumb] question that is somewhat general.
Is it possible, practical, and safe to tow a truck with a factory tow package & and hitch with another one?
I have a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 V8 with factory tow package and hitch that I need to tow 40-70 miles to have an engine swap done.
Is there a way I can tow it with my 2014 Explorer Limited V6 4WD (has factory tow package and hitch).
Can I flat-tow hitch-to-hitch somehow?
What would I need, and is there a special name for it [besides a psychological examination] ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick followup:

My 2002 Ex V8 4x4 doesn't have a neutral tow kit installed.
I figured out I'd probably need that for starters here.
Anyway if anyone still wants to chime in or discuss, please do.
Any ideas or comments are welcome.
Let's say for the sake of argument I did have the neural tow kit installed...what then?

rent a uhaul auto transport . or even one of their tow dollies. if it feels awkward slow down.

Is this a one-time deal? Hire a flat bed tow truck. It will be cheaper and less time consuming then purchasing aftermarket parts and time associated with installing. Plus, it's not exactly the easiest DIY job.

You could rent a trailer but the auto transporter will get you over the tow rating for your 5th gen Ex and a tow dolly is not recommended for rwd vehicles.

Agree. Only way this would work within the gen 5 specs is with a dolly. And not sure how that would work, the 2002 being 4x4 and no neutral package.

Just call the man. Hire it done.

What did you end up doing?

You could use a dolly and disconnect driveline from rear axle.

Back