Tow Package Radiator Vs. Non Tow Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Package Radiator Vs. Non Tow Package

BDHater

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4wd 3.5 non turbo and non coolant cooled ptu.

It did not come with a factory tow package, however I am going through and adding oil cooler and air diffusers and I am trying to figure out radiator.

I know the base and xlt models with non tow have smaller radiators but is it different for limited? When looking up radiators aftermarket or Ford it is very confusing and not clear on what radiators are for what.

If I do have the smaller radiator I want to swap it out for the bigger one but can not find a lot of specific information about this.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe that unless you have the factory installed tow package, all radiators are the same.
If I recall, this has been discussed before. You can go to a site like Levittown Ford Parts and compare them. I may be able to supply more info tomorrow when I'm on my computer instead of my phone. FYI, your towing capability will be 2,000 lb.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe that unless you have the factory installed tow package, all radiators are the same.
If I recall, this has been discussed before. You can go to a site like Levittown Ford Parts and compare them. I may be able to supply more info tomorrow when I'm on my computer instead of my phone. FYI, your towing capability will be 2,000 lb.

Peter
That’s the impression I was under, some radiators just have a “base, xlt” radiator option so it confused me.

With my vin the radiator is rad106. I measured my core depth on the rad in my car and it came to just under 1inch. It looks like the heavy duty radiator is 1 1/4 inch thick. I’m just not sure which radiator is the heavy duty one that will fit in my car. The core support and the fan module are the same, but finding the heavy duty radiator part number is hard with all of the options.

I’m not too worried about the manufactures gcvwr. Just looking to improve everything not worried about towing.

Back