towing question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing question

I have a 98 explorer V8, I am looking at getting a toy hauler but am afraid I will have problems towing it. The trailer I want is about 23 ft, with a tongue weight of 880lbs, a dry weight of 5330lbs and a gross weight of 1000lbs (is what they estimate). It has brakes and I will be adding to the explorer air bags and weight distribution to help on the tongue.

PS. If it matters it's a 8.8 rear end w/posi, and it's a 5.0 lit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 explorer V8, I am looking at getting a toy hauler but am afraid I will have problems towing it. The trailer I want is about 23 ft, with a tongue weight of 880lbs, a dry weight of 5330lbs and a gross weight of 1000lbs (is what they estimate). It has brakes and I will be adding to the explorer air bags and weight distribution to help on the tongue.

PS. If it matters it's a 8.8 rear end w/posi, and it's a 5.0 lit.

Dude, that is WAY too much for an explorer.
5330 is the most I would even think about towing with that setup. That's more weight than the explorer, much longer. Ever heard "the tail wags the dog"? 880 tongue weight is waaaay too much, and will increase a lot when you load it. Plus the frontal area of the trailer is way too much.
You need a bigger rig.
An expedition 5.4L with heavy tow package might tow it (not likely with the tongue weight), but not really well. Think Superduty.

Yeah, thats a tad heavy for a 5.0 Explorer. I pulled a 4400 lb TT with mine, it is the most I would pull. Its not even so much weight, but vehicle weight vs. trailer weight. The tow vehicle should weigh as much as or more than the trailer for safe handling unless it is a 5th wheel or gooseneck style.

You're both right, ahh.. will just have to wait until I upgrade the explorer.

Mountaneer, was TT for trophy truck?

Sorry, too many abbreviations TT = Travel Trailer

It's for sale BTW. Buy it. You need it. You want it.

trucks_010_Medium_.jpg

AHA
I recognize that pic from your for sale thread. i would buy that thing if you let me finance it!

Back