Towing rig setups

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Hey guys. I would like to see some of your tow rigs and the setups you have when trailering your explorer. I'm going to buy a truck and trailer when i get back in september, so i'd like to see what everyone else is using.

I'm planning on getting a 99+ F250 Powerstroke 4wd. Hopefully a 4 door short bed. Not sure if i want an auto or manual transmission. Which do you have/perfer for towing.

For performance, what do have done to your truck? The very first thing i'm going to buy is a chip for it. I'll probably then go for a couple of A pillar guages and an intake.

Post some pictures if you've got them, i just want something to look at! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMP! I know alot of folks on here tow their trucks, so lets see some photos! I was looking online the other day and found several trucks that i really like. I looked at some trailers too, but didn't find anything i like. One thing i'm unsure of is what size trailer to buy. I've hauled my explorer on an 18 a couple of times, but i think a 20 would be better. I guess if the trailer didn't have the fold up ramps then an 18' would be good. The ramps rub on my rear bumper when folded up.

The Superduty will work great. I usually tow mine with my dad's 98 Chevy 4x4 dually 6.5TD with a manual and 4:10's. Its the old school turd diesel, but we've done some tweaks and it should be up to around 400ftlbs at the rear wheels. Not awesome by any means, but gets the job done. For a trailer just make sure you get what you want the first time. I think an 18 footer would be perfect for a 4 door X, but if you want a 20 then go 20. I would also put some exhaust on the Powerstroke before i chipped it.

Thanks for the reply James. Why should i put some exhaust on it first?

Wouldn't a chip do better for performance and gas milage? I'm just learning about diesels, so the more knowledge you give the better!

We have a 6.0L PS and it's bad ass. I'd do an intake and exhaust and just run that for a while. When I get mine (end of this year hopefully) I'm going to stay away from the chips. I hear they just make the motor run hot and who really needs more power from a diesel.

Anyway, I don't think I have any good pics of ours yet. But the tow/haul feature on the 6 liter trannies is the shiznit. You're going downhill hauling an enclosed trailer full of junk, you tap the brakes and the tranny downshifts automatically. The whole truck is sweet. If you can, I'd look into one. But you might have to do what I'm going to do and settle for the 7.3L due to costs. :cool:

You cant run a big enough exhaust on a turbo diesel. Ideal would be a 3ft. long megaphone with no muffler. Exhaust makes a huge difference on a TD, and most chips will be calibrated assuming you've already done it. I also forgot to add- the first thing you need to do before you touch it is get boost and EGT gauges. You will need to know what boost you're running and you HAVE TO HAVE the EGT gauge with a chip so you can keep an eye out and not melt down the motor. Chips add fuel to the engine which makes hotter combustion temps. You need to keep an eye on this especially while towing. For the most part chips on oil burners are safe IF you moniter things properly and dont get too carried away with the fuel and boost.

Josh you saw my tow junk at Tellico. The SuperDutys with the PSD are great vehicles. Check out http://www.thedieselstop.com/ for all you ever wanted to know about the Powerstroke. Drive one for a while before you decide on chips, etc. I thought I was going to do that right off the bat too, but so far I have been happy with the power for two years and have yet to really mod anything.

Sorry i haven't gotten back guys, i've been on some missions the last few days.

I loved your setup Michael, actually that's exactly what i want. Thanks for the link, i will check that out.

I didn't realize the fact about the diesels and the exhaust. I'll take you guys word for it and go for the exhuast then. The guages is a must i know, the next mod i wanted to do was a boost guage and another one mounted on the a pillar.

Basically the mods i want to do i want them for better fuel milage and ultimatly better pulling perforamce, but i won't be pulling enough to even worry about the difference.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Back