Towing with "new" 92 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with "new" 92 Explorer

I just inherited my dad's 92 Explorer. We are thinking about using to tow a tent trailer for camping. I know my dad towed a trailer for me once. It's a 4.0 V6 (of course) automatic. I have the original window sticker and it lists a "trailer towing package" option for $106. However, it does NOT have a frame hitch installed--just a ball on the bumper. I know this is a Class II-only setup and marginal even at that. Does anyone know what this $106 towing package included (it is not listed)?

I will absolutely add a frame Class III hitch before getting a bigger trailer. But I think the current setup should do for a utility trailer dragging a riding mower over to my brother's place in Idaho. Agree, disagree?

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It basically has a trailer wiring harness located under the passenger side taillight or frame by the rear bumper, you will have to look hard for it.

For short distances & light trailers (~550lbs) it should be ok

You should be able to find a frame mount hitch quite easily at a wrecker, all the wiring is attached to a plug ot T-connector you can buy from reese or similar company.

Shouldn't cost you more than $65 or so for all.

check out the similar post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213253

So the $100 "towing package" is just a hidden wiring harness?

I know my dad towed with it before, so I'm sure it has a plug of some sort already.

Rob

The Trailer towing package included a transmission cooler and the trailer light connector is located under the rear light on the drivers side, not the passenger side.

Today's late-model V6 tow packages include:
Class III/IV hitch (which you'll need to add)
7-pin bargman connector (you may be fine for a popup with just the 4-flat)
Auxiliary transmission cooler (usually an oil-to-air cooler inline with the in-radiator oil-to-water bulb-type cooler)
Rear axle gearing changed from 3.55 to 3.73

Check your owners manual. Since you know you have the factory tow package, just check to see what your limits are, and add whatever equipment it says you need. I'm betting you have 3500 lbs rating on that bumper, or 5000 lbs max on a frame-mounted receiver.

IMO, if your combined weight of truck and trailer is greater than the Explorer's GVWR, you need to be using electric trailer brakes. You probably have all wiring necessary for this, but need a simple $30 kit from etrailer.com. This would plug into the 4-flat connector you already have, plus tie into 2 more wirings tucked up there for brakes (blue) and 12volt charge (color?), plus providing a dedicated ground wire which you would simply screw into the frame.

e-trailer is a great site, with vehicle specific searches for hitches/wiring, downloadable instructions, and video tutorials.

Back