• Register Today It's free!

towing

mazda3zoom

Reaction score
City, State
Mountain home , id
Year, Model & Trim Level
Some confusion, help needed.

I've been sifting through all the posts about towing and some say 5500lbs and others say 3500lbs for my ride. I just need some clarification as to what i can tow. I have a Automatic 2002 Explorer with the V6, 4WD, and 3.55 axles (i think, axle code 45, the sticker was a little messed up.) I have a boat that weights about 3100lbs, plus the trailer...so another 1100 lbs. Can my rig tow 4200+ lbs??? I know i have to buy a class 3 receiver, but once i have that, can i? Thanks guys
Oh yeah my ride has a factory trans cooler located up front, not sure how effective those are but its there. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool thanks, i didnt get an owners manual when i got this rig.

Well, unofficially and just my opinion, you could probably tow the boat short distances, maybe further on flat ground. Really, 3.55 to 3.73 is not a huge difference in gearing. A Class III hitch would be a must though.

Best way to check the ratio is check the tag on the diff cover to be certain.

i was gonna ask what would happen if i towed it anyways? From where the boat is to my house is like 50 miles (mostly all flat highway) then ill get it here and do a little work on it. Then the lake is maybe 15 miles from here, some uphill action on the way back from the lake. How much difference is there in torque between the 2 rear ends?

I am not sure what limits yours to 3400 lbs, but it should not be the frame. Maybe the 3.55 with auto and 4x4 combo. I ordered the towing package, and got 3.73 gears and the extra tranny cooler, if memory serves.

My concern would be for the transmission, which are apparently not that sturdy in our Ex's.

I think you will be able to pull it, the question is, can it handle it over time and distance?

How much have you guys towed with ur rigs? I gotta 02 auto 4x4 with the 3.55 rear end, so technically im only supposted to tow 3400lbs. The boats about 4400lbs, u think its a good idea to tow it short distances? Also u think ill be able to pull it up the boat launch?

Does that 4400 pounds include the weight of the trailer the boat is sitting on? If not you are probably pushing it too hard. Mine has the tow package and is rated for about 5500 lbs. That boat would likely be at or over my limit.

4.6 tow questions

I am concerned about the towing capabilities of the Explorer, too.

As I already own an enclosed steel 3 place tandem snowmobile trailer that weighs 3200 pounds empty (add 1800 more for sleds and extras), plus the extra passengers, the total extra weight would exceed 5500. I have decided only a V8 tow package might reasonably be up to it on a long trip. I intend to also add the load leveling hitch and LT tires.

I always tow with the overdrive off. Can I assume that both the AWD and auto 4X4 have the ability to do this with trailer tow package? The transmission is the thing that bothers me most about the Explorers. I never hurt the one in my Jeep, and Chrysler was known to have tranny issues with their trucks, too. Also, I never exceed 65 while towing, and try to use the hills to my advantage, gaining on a decline and accepting some speed loss on a good incline.

I have read where the AWD and 4 wheel drive have their fans for various reasons. I would like to know one thing about the two transfer cases. Which one is stronger, or less likely to fail when I really need it?

-Les in MI.

It's not the rear end that's the weak point, it's the trans. The rear end will handle it just fine, but the trans won't like it in the least. I would not recommend exceeding the rated towing capacity in an Explorer. It's marginal in stock form, let alone towing an extra 20% over its rating.

-Joe

Ya I've been considering buying a boat. One of my concerns was whether my v6 Explorer would be able to tow one (mine has the 2" package"

Yea the 4400lbs is everything, the boats 3050 dry, and the trailer is 1100lbs. I dont want to have to borrow someone else's ride but i also dont wanna hurt mine.

i have a 2006 that came with the standard 1 1/4 inch hitch, i went to echart and had them weld on a new 2 inch class 4 rated at 6,000lbs, my explorer is a 4x4 and my owners manuel says my maximum is 5,700lbs, i recently towed my boat up to mammoth lakes in NoCal, my trailer and boat weigh together about 5200lbs, no problems with towing. I have a V6 so i had to take it out of OD:D

Back