• Register Today It's free!

TPS mod

tnmk

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
I did the TPS mod (adjustment really, i wouldn't consider it a modification)

A little different on mine from what is on the post that I read.

I didn't have to remove anything to get to the TPS. Right infront of me, just needed a right angle screwdriver.

Wire colors were different (maybe cause it's a mercury?)
gray/red stripe = ground
gray/white stripe = signal
brown/white stripe = 5v reference

Didn't bother with trying to slot the holes. just drilled 1/64" over size and it got me (barely) to the perfect .96 volts. Started at .91 volts.

I wouldn't think you'd have to go anymore than 1/32" oversize on that hole to get your adjustment.

Seems to have better throttle response. could just be psychological though.

Thanks for the tip!

I Tried this on my '98 Sport on Saturday. I kind of rushed through it and ended up with the numbers worse. When I started the reading was .68 after I tried to drill the holes out it was .56

I could not get the numbers to change no matter how far I moved the TPS either back for forward, the .56 did not change.

The wire on mine was the gray with a red stripe.

I held the TPS in my hand when I tried to drill it out and the holes were kind of off center. It occurs to me to do this right you should put the TPS in a Vise grip and slowly drill it out.

Is there an easier way?

I held it in my hand too. I just used a cordless drill and ran the speed very slow.
As I said b4, I didn't try to slot them, I just went oversize by 1/64".
Personally I had no trouble at all.
If I lived in Boston I'd be more than happy to help you out, but that's kinda far for a favor.
You had black lead on the gray/red stripe and red lead on the gray/white stripe right?
And your meter was on DC volts in the right range right?
Ignition was on?

If you couldn't get it to change from .56v then you have one of two things going on:

1: TPS is DEAD!

2: You had the wrong wires.

Back