Trannsfer case not engaging 4 High,, (more),,, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trannsfer case not engaging 4 High,, (more),,,

Isaac

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsport PA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
92 4x4 auto,, push button 4x4, when you push the 4 high button,, all lights come on indicating it's in, but it does not ingage and stays in 2high,, (proved this in mud testing, only bvack wheels turning), low range works great!, all lights and indicators come on and all,, but no 4 high, just stays in 2 high untill you put it in 4 Low. which works great,, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's just the 4hi thats not working, it is probably the contacts in the transfer case motor. May just need to clean the ones for 4hi. Look under t/f case on this website for instructions on how to fix. Dead Link Removed

No, probably not the contacts.

The gear that selects high is the same gear that lights up the dash. If the dash says 4HI then you are in 4Hi from the transfer case motor perspective. Did 4Lo work?

I would think your transfer case has not been shifted completely. Perhaps the male piece is not lined up properly. I have heard of the motor sliding back, so when you engage it turns but does not turn the transfer case (male and female pieces are not connected). Try loosening the motor, reposition, and have someone hold it as you retorque onto the transfer case.

yep,,

yep like i said above,, the 4low works fine,, not a prob,, and yes when i hit the 4 high button the lights both come on as if it were in 4 high,, but does not turn the front driveshaft,,
i will clean the contacts and see if it helps,, but like you said i dont beleave it is,, due to the lights coming on.

Sorry, I missed that part of your post :)

That is very unusual that 4-Lo will engage but 4-Hi will not. There may be an internal problem with the gearing in the transfer case. This is beyond me though, as I have not dug into the transfer case before.

Let us know what you find.

My four wheel drive will not engage any longer. I turned it on the other night for a few blocks to get the gears in shape for winter and it worked fine. I tried to engage it the other day and now it will not work any longer. When i hit the button, I hear the low clicking sound from the rear but the light does not go on and the clunk sound that occurs when in goes into 4 wheel drive does not happen anymore. What is the problem?

Back