Tranny vibrations

davet611

Reaction score
City, State
Russellville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
Need Help?

I have a '95 EB 4WD. When driving on the highway, the tranny vibrates slightly before downshifting from OD to 3rd. Happens all the time, but more distinct in cruise. Any ideas? Have changed the fluid about 20K ago. ???

I've come back to your post a couple or four times now..... I'm having trouble reconciling "tranny vibrates" and have to wonder if this isn't a fuel or ignition problem. Are you having any other problems that may seem unrelated to this one?

Nope, it is definately a transmission or ujoint problem. There is a slight ripple vibration just as the trans shifts from OD to 3rd. Got me confused too! There are no other vibrations or transmission problems. I do have a slight front end vibration, but i believe this is unrelated.

In the '95, you should have the 4R55E transmission which is much better than the A4LD. I haven't seen these give anything in the way of "pattern" troubles.

I took a quick look at the TSB database at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and see there are several transmission bulletins. I didn't have time to check out all the summaries, but there were a couple that appeared like they may address your problem.

There was one (sorry, didn't get the number) that appeared to mention a torque convertor chuggle. You might check them out closely and notice something that might apply to your situation.

As I said, I haven't seen many troubles with these and we're at the point where I've outlived my usefulness.

Good Luck.

Back