trans removal help asap! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trans removal help asap!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, but since the MC installed already, how do i remove it? and do i have to remove the pedal rod or could i just use some vice grips to push rod in n out?

The absolute best videos on how to do the bleed correctly. I have followed these videos and they positively work. :thumbsup:

Edit: Sorry I didn't see the link already given to the video.

You can try to bleed it with it all installed as well. open the bleeder on the trans, and gravity feed it with a few reservoirs of fluid (never letting it run out), tapping the line as it drains to help trapped air bubbles out.

Another way is to attach a long hose to the trans bleeder, stick it in the fluid reservoir, and pump the clutch pedal a bunch to circulate the fluids, hopefully removing any trapped air along with it.

they are great videos but neither show you how to actually remove the MC correctly.
I'm positive I could do it but I want to make sure so nothing gets done wrong or makes something else break lol

The MC is connected to the pedal assembly. Turn it 1/8-1/4 and push/pull out (towards front of rig) to remove. Resv is held on by 2 small bolts on the fender well. The video shows how to remove it from the trans. The rod simply slides off the pedal to one side. There may or may not be a little clip holding it on.

It is no fun to remove, so go at it expecting it to give you a hard time, and you wont feel frustrated as much. :)

to remove it you will have to remove the rod which can be a PITA :banghead:

the end of the rod is a "ball" which locks into a metal clip with teeth all the way around.once the rod is out the MC just twists to remove,sounds easier than it is.

EDIT:now i'm l8 on the draw to gmanpaint

gmanpaint,can the clutch safty switch be removed from the rod without removing the rod from the MC?it's been a month or two since i've been under the dash and can't remember,i have to replace my pedal assembly and will have to remove mine come spring.:(

also i'm making some cable limb riser's thanks to your registry :salute: trails are tight and tree lined here in the middle of the right coast:D

Nice, and the snap ring should just pop off with needle nose or a flathead?

oh I already know it's going to give me a hard time lol.

whats the part# for the snap ring that connects the pushrod on the MC to the pedal?

when mine popped off it flew :/ lost inside the dash lol

and aszman yea the safety switch comes off easy just pull the little clip off the back of it and pull the bottom portion out first

edit: nvm got one ordered.

well i got the M/C pulled and fully bled, now im still in the same boat the slave cylinder won't do nothing...

ok! after about an hour of non stop pumping and bleeding i got pressure back!
its driving like a dream now! well i found out i have a bad lower ball joint but i'll have that changed out in no time!

thanks everyone for all the help

gmanpaint,can the clutch safty switch be removed from the rod without removing the rod from the MC?

When I did the manual swap, I ended up bypassing the CPP, and didn't hook it up at all. I did look at the set up on a stock manual tho, and it looked as if it was just clipped on the rod, and can be pulled off by itself. Just pull the tab back and it should slip right off.

whats the part# for the snap ring that connects the pushrod on the MC to the pedal?

edit: nvm got one ordered.

Could you post the part number for future reference?

will do as soon as it comes in tomorrow.

Back