Transfer case question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case question.

Dahrdnk

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer 4wd
I have a 97 ford explorer Eddie Bauer edition. 4wd the vin number is 1FMDU34E1VUD36832. I need to know which model transfer case goes on it. I had mine replaced and it didn't work right and resulted in a blown motor. My speedometer cable hooks into the transfer case. This one that was installed didn't have a place for it and I wasn't told till I noticed it not working. Wife was driving at the time. So if I can get some help would be great. Have a new motor for it but need to fix that issue as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Borg Warner 4405. Tell us again how your Transfer case gave you a blown motor?

And make sure it's from a 97.

I have a 1995 Eddie Bauer with the Control Trac 4WD. Amazing drivetrain! Feels like it's on a rail when engaged. I did have a peculiar problem though. First, a fuse in the fuse box blew and the drivetrain went to 4-Low by default after a new stereo system was installed. Why does it default to 4-Low? You can hardly drive it on pavement this way, in fact it's dangerous, you can hardly steer the vehicle! After the fuse was replaced, everything worked normal and then all of a sudden it's stuck in 4-Low and won't come out, that fuse was okay. I had to tow it home, it was impossible to drive it. When I got home, it's back in 2WD and switches to 4-Auto great but now 4-Low is "locked out" it doesn't drop into it! I don't mind this because those two modes are the ones I use and 4Low is only for very special occasions. I am curious to know how come this happened however and what it might be? The problem is obviously electrical. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I tend to drive my Eddie Bauer in 4Auto more often than not because it's more stable in steering and a much smoother ride!

honestly, the shift motors are junk.

I have a 97 ford explorer Eddie Bauer edition. 4wd the vin number is 1FMDU34E1VUD36832. I need to know which model transfer case goes on it. I had mine replaced and it didn't work right and resulted in a blown motor. My speedometer cable hooks into the transfer case. This one that was installed didn't have a place for it and I wasn't told till I noticed it not working. Wife was driving at the time. So if I can get some help would be great. Have a new motor for it but need to fix that issue as well.

Dude, that strikes me as the electromagnetic clutch pack must have disintegrated allowing the engine and transmission to "freewheel"! If something like that happens, I get off the gas right away! You must have way overrevved the motor to blow it up. Surprised you wouldn't have noticed this immediately and coasted over to the side. It also strikes me as though that transfer case you got isn't a Borg Warner, otherwise it would have the connection for the speedometer cable...OOPS!

97 explorer transfer case.

Ok my last post was about a transfer case for my 97 explorer. I was told a borg warner 4405 was the correct one. The one that is in it is a Borg warner 4405-10 and it's not the correct one. The case needs to have spot for my speedo cable. And the case that's in it does not. So what now. I am a paraplegic and doing the work myself and am having hard time finding the correct case I need.

And allen35540 it never free wheeled. It would shift fine when it was first crunk. After bout three or four miles is when it would start shifting at four and five thousand rpms. The speedometer didn't work. So I'm a assuming since it didn't know the speed it didn't know when to shift.

The speedometer didn't work. So I'm a assuming since it didn't know the speed it didn't know when to shift.

Yep, that's what happens.
This might be a bit late but when it's revving like that you can pull the gear lever into 2 and the trans will change up.
Pop it back into D and it will change up again, probably twice.

I bought a low mileage '98 Trans and had it delivered to a mechanic to fit.
I didn't know the '98 had the speedo drive on the diff housing but the mechanic fitted it up without the speedo.

I'll be swapping over the rear case of my original transfer case, the bit with the hole for the VSS, once I figure out how to get the nut holding the rear shaft output flange off.

Meanwhile I just shift up and down a bit. I don't think the torque converter locks up either.

You let it rev too high and boom it went, my transfer is wrong 1 my speedometer dont work and shifts slowly have been driving it for a year like this with no prob, change motor and get right transfer or use same 1 just b easy on the gas pedal

I bought a low mileage '98 Trans and had it delivered to a mechanic to fit.

How much did the mechanic charge to fit it?

Borg Warner 4405. Tell us again how your Transfer case gave you a blown motor?
My VIN is similar 1FMDU34E3VUC20970
is mine also a 4405 Borg Warner ?
It is a V6 SOHC XLT model how many hole flange ? Also check out the Explorer in the atrachment would this one have the same transfer case ???

Screenshot_20230421-095750.png

96-97 still had the vehicle speed sensor in the tailhousing of the 4405 t case
You need to keep the vss sensor!
Many times a 4405 t case from a 98-04 will be used ti fix an old 96-97 but they fail to keep the speed sensor. The rear half of the 96-97 caee can be installed into the 98+ t case to keep the speed sensor. The vss is required for the pcm to know the vehicle is moving.

The thread you clicked on is 9 years old

Yes that 97 should have correct transfer case the 4405 however you need to make sure the speed sensor is the same as your truck

A Dakota digital speedometer interface could be installed if the vehicle speed sensor is Mia the Dakota device can take its place

Hope this helps

Back