• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case removal.

tavo123

Reaction score
City, State
mission texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
i have a ford explorer 5.0 xlt awd i made it a 2 wheel drive just wanted to know if its possible to remove the transfer case i just dnt want to have it i cheched the oil on it its messed up ugly and thick i wanted to change it but sinse nothing its connected to it only the trans will it mes wit my mpg and im also trying to remove some wheight of of the truck im trying sum bolts ons but ill see wana go down to the 15 flat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the transmissions & transfer cases section. You will have to open the transmission, and swap the output shaft, extension housing, and the rear driveshaft with a RWD only version.

I would think the easiest way would be to find a 2wd transmission and install that. Of course, to actually get the benefits of swapping it to 2wd you'd have to swap out the front end to the 2wd parts. Your front axles, hubs, and diff are still turning.

So do i change the oil on it or it doesnt really matter since its not really in use and does it affect my mpg if i leave it like that

im not planning on taking it off no more sounds to difficult and also i did take almost everything out the bars connected to the wheels i had it lowered so that might of gotten in the way if i hadnt taken that out

I'd still change the oil if it's nasty. The transfer case is still in use, even if not sending power to the front. Also, the truck will creep very slowly if it's on enough of a hill. Park doesn't work properly without a front shaft. Block the tires, or set the e-brake. What do you mean bars that connect to the wheels? Axleshafts? Driveshaft?

what about the dummy transfer case off a bronco II? it allowed the use of the 4x4 transmission on the 2 wheel drive bronco II. and it could be swapped with the 1350 or 1354 so the bolt pattern would be the same, unless the awd transfer case uses a different bolt pattern then the 4405, 1350, 1354

The bolt circle is different. Advance Adapter might make a an adapter to allow it.

I'd still change the oil if it's nasty. The transfer case is still in use, even if not sending power to the front. Also, the truck will creep very slowly if it's on enough of a hill. Park doesn't work properly without a front shaft. Block the tires, or set the e-brake. What do you mean bars that connect to the wheels? Axleshafts? Driveshaft?[/QU yes i think its the front drive shaft sorry i dnt know much by name just know how they look and how to ttake it off and yes i took off everything connected from the transfercase to the front wheels

No apologies needed :) This is a friendly forum where there is a ton to learn. The rear drive is still connected to the chain in the t case. If this chain snaps you'll be in trouble. I'd change the oil, and be careful how you park, and run with it.

No apologies needed :) This is a friendly forum where there is a ton to learn. The rear drive is still connected to the chain in the t case. If this chain snaps you'll be in trouble. I'd change the oil, and be careful how you park, and run with it.
well since i got it ive been racin it all the time hope it lastsme it has 225 and runs real smooth dnt got much money but got royal purple 40 and 8 dolar plugs thanks for ur help

Back