Transfer case / Trouble codes / Test drive / Need assistance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case / Trouble codes / Test drive / Need assistance

Lazerskull

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer, XLT
go watch this video it's only 3 min long

drives up to 40-50mph seems to be stuck
in 3rd gear.

pulled codes
p0325 knock sensor 1 (Bank 1)
P1729

how should I proceed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to get the transmission codes.

You need to get the transmission codes.
So I gotta go back to the tyranny shop that installed it? I feel like they're sick of seeing my Explorer at this point.

Would Mercon V etc in the TC cause it?

Not a fluid issue, you have some other serious issues to work on. That engine sounds like it is about to go critical mass if you keep driving it.

Not a fluid issue, you have some other serious issues to work on. That engine sounds like it is about to go critical mass if you keep driving it.
The engine was just rebuilt. It ran fine until the original TC blew up. So I'm disinclined to think it is engine related. But you're right I don't drive it anymore.
This short drive was the first time I've ran it in weeks.

There's a possibility you have 3 unrelated problems happening at the exact same time. 1, the engine knock sound, 2 a transmission shifting issue, and 3rd an issue with the TC

Mercon V in the t case will have zero effect on the transmission shifting. If you don’t want to take it back somewhere, take it somewhere else, or buy a higher level scanner. Put an ad on Facebook, someone will come to you and scan it if it comes down to that.

There's a possibility you have 3 unrelated problems happening at the exact same time. 1, the engine knock sound, 2 a transmission shifting issue, and 3rd an issue with the TC
[the engine knock went away]

Mercon V in the t case will have zero effect on the transmission shifting. If you don’t want to take it back somewhere, take it somewhere else, or buy a higher level scanner. Put an ad on Facebook, someone will come to you and scan it if it comes down to that.
Yeah mobile mechanic w a good scanner would be best so I don't have to drive it anywhere.

Ya I think the cats are finally toasted and might be blocking the exhaust.
You can pull the O2 sensors to test that theory. It will run in open loop, but the O2 ports create a spot to relieve back pressure without having to drill holes.

Question becomes why are the cats plugged

You absolutely have transmission and transfer case issues with all those flashing lights.

Whoever did the work, make them fix it.

You absolutely have transmission and transfer case issues with all those flashing lights.

The tranny is still under warranty. The same shop that did the tranny also installed the TC. But the TC was just a random pull from salvage.

When they installed the TC tho, they said they tested the tranny, and it wasn't bringing up any codes.

I'm gunna bleed the mufflers and possibly delete the cats see if that changes how it idles. I'm juggling two jobs and a house full of guests right now hard to fit in the time for this but I have to cuz I'm sick of borrowing my mom's car.

When the engine was rebuilt, did they give you a list or description of what was done? I'm wondering if it was a Krylon overhaul.

Would an improperly installed TC cause cats to get plugged?

No. The cats almost exclusively fail due to excessive fuel, like a stuck injector or a AF ratio that’s way off.

A rebuilt engine should not make a lifter noise
If it does then the rebuilder needs to fix it

transmission rebuild that does not shift properly, is under warranty, and you feel like they are getting sick of seeing your truck. Sounds like the same guy who built the engine did the trans.

This is a real mess! I think the t case and cat converters are the least of your concerns right now

A rebuilt engine should not make a lifter noise
If it does then the rebuilder needs to fix it

transmission rebuild that does not shift properly, is under warranty, and you feel like they are getting sick of seeing your truck. Sounds like the same guy who built the engine did the trans.

This is a real mess! I think the t case and cat converters are the least of your concerns right now
The t case was literally randomly thrown in a box from across the US and sent to me and thrown in my vehicle.

I was driving the rebuilt Trans and Engine 10k miles all winter no issues.

But you want to overlook the random TC and say that it's all well and good and throw my mechanics under the bus.

Thanks for the tips but I've already got some great leads to pursue from some other folks.

That TC was sold to me no guarantees it had been ripped off a disabled vehicle 10 w 5 years ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, I agree with 410. Someone took your money for a service and they didn’t deliver.

As much as it seems you want to all of these issues aren’t the transfer cases fault.

If you’re so certain it’s the t case, buy another and take it back to your tyrannical shop. Did they not even drive it? When I worked on vehicles, I drove every single one of anything suspension, brakes, or steering was involved.

Back