Transfer case / Trouble codes / Test drive / Need assistance | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case / Trouble codes / Test drive / Need assistance

Even without a transfer case bolted in the engine will still have the noise and the trans will still not shift

You can test the transfer case a little bit if you put the truck up on jackstands

Both cat converters completely plugged at the same time? Not likely!
Fix one thing at a time

We must rule things out!

How long is warranty in engine? As soon as lifter noise appeared you should be on phone w engine shop

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your tranny shop is sick of seeing you, take in a dozen random doughnuts and a box of Timmy Ho’s coffee. Show up early, right as they open, or right before lunch time. I bet they scan it free.

The coffee and doughnuts approach has always paid dividends for me.

But you want to overlook the random TC and say that it's all well and good and throw my mechanics under the bus.
The transmission and engine doesn't know or case if there's a transfer case behind it. Not throwing your mechanic under the bus., you have issues not related to the transfer case that must be addressed. You have your mind made up that the transfer case must be the problem, swap it out and let us know how it works out.

The engine knock is the lifters. It's been that way since I got the new engine. Well. At least that is what it used to be. Wouldn't a knock like that cause a code.

Which is it has always had noise it made it 10k over a winter first.

FYI sohc v6 does not have lifters/pushrods

Help us help you
Clear info, you are jumping all over the place!

Googling Timmy ho’s

As these guys said the t case runs completely independently from the engine and trans

Your flashing lights could be as simple as a plug not seated or the trans may need some internal parts. The trans shop should be interested in helping if the unit is under warranty! The sooner the better of course
The sohc engine is known for making timing chain rattles and guide/ tensioner noises usually around the front of the engine or rear pass side
The noise in your video could be a simple exhaust leak? Again the transmission shop could fix that as they were the ones to drop the exhaust pipes

When the trans shop swapped the transfer case for you did they leave anything g unplugged? Did they use your 1997 electronic shift motor or the one that came w the new case?

I watched the video again and the transmission and t case are both suspect at this point
Do you want to take it in to trans shop or do you want to diy repair?

For diy repair get the codes
I would call trans shop first thing mon am see if they want to help
Then donuts and coffee!!!

merc v wouldn't have effect ton the trans. sure its bad for the tcase, and can lead to failure, but the t case, then engine, and trans should all be viewed as completely separate of each other. t case is kind of an "add on" so to speak, in which the engine and trans should have no bearing on. im inclined to say that the t case

the p1729 has to do with your 4lo switch, so yes that affects the TC. that said, it shouldnt keep it under 50 (since its not in limp mode or anything liek that)

i would take it back to whoever put the TC in and have them take a second look. if they stand behind their work, they will take a second look. i mean, imo, its not your fault that these issues are popping up!

on the subject of engine
soohc has hydraulic lash adjusters instead of lifters, but at 10k it shouldnt be making that noise!

barring extenuating circumstances, cats dont usually just drop dead and fail liek that! there gotta be some underlying cause. id lean maybe its running a bit rich, since you have a knock code, so it may be doing that as a safety net.

sorry this is all happening at once!

also not saying your shops are negligent or anything, they may be really good shops, and we all make mistakes, but when those mistakes arise, as the one who fixed it, its our responsibility to follow up and fix them when they occur. and as much as trans shop may be tired of seeing your x, it was agreed upon in warranty...soo

also iirc it was 410 who told me this but sohc 5r good engine and trans but complex and rather experimental (ie 4 chains) so it takes much more skill perciison and quality parts to do the job right (for example cloyes timing parts vs ford parts) so theyre good but once rebuilt is when issues tend to arise

If your tranny shop is sick of seeing you, take in a dozen random doughnuts and a box of Timmy Ho’s coffee. Show up early, right as they open, or right before lunch time. I bet they scan it free.

The coffee and doughnuts approach has always paid dividends for me.
Awesome thanks.

The flashing 4wd lights with a 97 model year v6 usually indicate an issue with the control trac awd system in the t case. If they used a t case that is not compatible (96-97 control trac only) any 98-02 version, does not have the needed vss sensor, or if it already has issues with control trac then it can cause some strange things shifting,drag,noises,and clunking

The codes would likely tell the story
Any pics of the two transfer cases side by side?
Do you still have your original transfer case?

As far as I know, the GEM (which controls the TC) does not send information to the PCM, which controls the transmission. It’s been our experience that a bad TC does not affect transmission shift pattern behavior. I’ve yet to see it.

What CAN mimic transmission issues is a failing case that causes slipping, banging, rattling, etc. But failures to shift are almost always the trans itself or the harness/PCM.

The flashing 4wd lights with a 97 model year v6 usually indicate an issue with the control trac awd system in the t case. If they used a t case that is not compatible (96-97 control trac only) any 98-02 version, does not have the needed vss sensor, or if it already has issues with control trac then it can cause some strange things shifting,drag,noises,and clunking

The codes would likely tell the story
Any pics of the two transfer cases side by side?
Do you still have your original transfer case?
Yeah if you watch the video I show my old transfer case. Also I go underneath and show the tag of the "new" one it has 199(upside down)2H on it.

Unfortunately, I agree with 410. Someone took your money for a service and they didn’t deliver.

As much as it seems you want to all of these issues aren’t the transfer cases fault.

If you’re so certain it’s the t case, buy another and take it back to your tyrannical shop. Did they not even drive it? When I worked on vehicles, I drove every single one of anything suspension, brakes, or steering was involved.
Yeah I will take it back after I have another day to look at it. So do you know anything about the 4405 TC with a 199 upside down 2H on the ID tag. It seems unfamiliar to me.

96-97 use 4405 w vss In tailhousing
98-02 use 4405 no vss (do not have the speed sensor)

I often take these cases apart and install the 97 back half onto the later model case in order to keep these things on the road, thus retaining the speed sensor.

The other option is to delete the control trac and install a normal 2wd 4hi 4low 1354 transfer case

You can pull the O2 sensors to test that theory. It will run in open loop, but the O2 ports create a spot to relieve back pressure without having to drill holes.
Hey I ran it for a few minutes w out the upstream 02 sensors. Is that bad?

I like how it sounded on start up. Real mean like a Harley.

Hey I ran it for a few minutes w out the upstream 02 sensors. Is that bad?

I like how it sounded on start up. Real mean like a Harley.
Did it change how it ran or idled?

Did it change how it ran or idled?
w/o them in there it seemed to run "rich" and like it would almost die every 2 or 3 seconds, and then it would rev itself back up again.

Def idles better with them in there.

I am taking my speed sensor out of my old case. Gunna throw it into the TC in the vehicle and see what happens.

I'm suspecting these guys didn't install the TC right.

20231004_120156.jpg

If they’re original, replace them. People will say to not change them until they throw a code, but if those sensors are 26+ years old, and you have them out, install new ones. They’ll have better response anyway. Consider it preventative mx.

TC will not affect how the truck runs, short of some wiring harness ****ery that affects the PCM or other sensors. And if that were the case, you’d have a laundry list of codes.

Back to the basics.

Back