• Register Today It's free!

Transmiision Mystery

Icant-write

Reaction score
City, State
North Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Basically im asking you guys because the users here, seem to know more than any other site lol.

About the weeks ago my explorer started to feel sluggish while drivin, it would continue on though without any real issue. About a week after this started occuring, I took it for a trip the store. I stopped at an red light, and heard a loud "pop" or a "clang". It then wouldn't move for me, and had to be pushed into the gas station. I was pretty much stranded, till a nice guy noticed and asked to help. He lifted the hood and informed me that my tranny was bone dry. He had me put some fluid in, and got it to move for me.

Slim line finish.
1. I spoke with a mechanic who said I probably snapped the OD band, but that Drive will still work for me.
2. I want to put more fluid in it, but it isnt holding much.
3. After I dump over three quarts into it, the fluid comes pouring out of a "drain" tube by the side of the transmission.

Im not a mechanic at all. Is this normal... Im not even sure what questions to ask. I would love to keep this truck going with just the Drive gear. Im not too worried about the OD. This truck means a lot to me.

Back