• Register Today It's free!

transmision woes again

merc2dogs

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie
91 explorer, a4ld, tranny stopped dead, nothing at all, tried all shifter positions, put it into 4low and high nothing, Had it towed home, went to push it into the garage the next weekend, started it for steering, and it moved under it's own power, since then it moves every time I try it, driven it a bit, maybe an hour or so, and haven't had any problems.

when it failed, it was running fine, eased off the gas to turn a corner then when I stepped on the gas again it just seemed like it was in nuetral anyone else experience this?
right now I can start the truck, put it in gear and take off, but not knowing what caused it, I don't want to start driving it. (working 45 miles away makes for a heck of a tow bill)

only thing I've done to the trans is pull the pan, check for signs of wear etc, no sparkles in the fluid, no particles in the pan, and the filter was nice and clean, so I just reassembled and dumped tha same fluid back in, this was AFTER it was moving, so had nothing to do with it, any ideas? anyone else experience it? anything other than the trans that could cause it?

I picked up another explorer (with a 5 speed !) so it's not critical at this time, just a problem that's got me stumped.

ken.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in the same boat. The 94 just stopped moving altogether with no slipping or anything. Just won't move!!

Could be the pump lost suction for some reason on the curve, maybe got air?

start by confirming fluid levels.

sounds like it's a bit low on fluid.

In my case, I'd checked that first thing, fluid levels were/are fine, still drives well at present
starting to yank things out of it, and get rid of the thing, I REALY hate automatics. swapped axles with my other explorer, and going to pull the motor and any other good parts next weekend to stick on the shelf for spares, trans I'm thinking of tearing apart to see what, if anything is wrong with it.

Ken.

Back to my a4ld. I am about to do a c-5 swap but I want to exhaust all possibilities that something simple is wrong. The trans stop working instantly...no slippage of any kind or anything. It will not move an inch in any gear at any rpm. I did notice that when put in drive, the rpms drop a bit. The bottom line....is there anything right off the bat that I should check into that could be simple to repair??? (I did pull off the line to the radiator..there is fluid pressure). Thanks in advance!!

Back