Transmisison fluid change at 30K? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmisison fluid change at 30K?

GCH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS
Hi All,
I am new to this forem, and glad to see a lot of good info here.
I'm sure this is not a new subject, but I didn't find it yet, so please have patience if I am digging up an old topic.

When I bought my 03 XLS 4.0 4WD new, the salesman told me the transmission was completely sealed and did not require a fluid change for 100K miles. So, I haven't been thinking about it. But I'm planning on pulling a small travel trailer this summer so now want to install a transmission cooler and also started wondering about that 100K mile fluid change.

I looked ay my owners manual, and this is considerably less than clear. I don't know which transmission I have, and some of them list a 30K mile transmission fluid change. However, they don't say which transmission I have. I've looked there before, and just assumed it didn't apply to me -- as I thought I had a 100K mile interval.

Please let me know what the truth is. How can I find out which transmission I have. Dealer wants $140 for a fluid change which seems high to me. But I want to have the correct fluid which some other shop may not use... What say you folks?

Thanks,

GCH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$140 is about right for a flush and fill for the tranny. Just did the F150 it was $180 I think. Sorry if I'm no help as to which tranny you have. Don't really know much about the newer expos.

More than likely u have the 5R55W transmission. I thought it was on one of the labels but I can't find it on mine. Owners manual will call it out. Split the difference and do it around 60K miles. I paid $120 total. Dealer was running a special.

I would change it. I bought my truck with 45k on it and the previous owner just drove it to and from work. The fluid was black when I changed it. The salesmen told me same deal about the tranny seal, 100k miles...bla bla bla. Don't wait long. The sooner the better.

Back