Transmission acting up not codes (2004, 4.6, 4x4) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission acting up not codes (2004, 4.6, 4x4)

whagen

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exp XLT Sport 4WD V8
In normal driving everything seems fine and normal.

2004 XLT Sport
4.6 V8
4x4
tow package

But I have begun to notice issues when shifting into reverse and when towing a light load (1500 lbs).

When shifting into reverse there is a hesitation before the truck feeling like it is in gear and wants to move. if will mover a bit but not like its in gear. There is also a shuttering when going in reverse. This has been happening for probably the last 30K miles but it has gone from occasional to almost regularly

I don't tow much and whenever I have it was never that heavy. Maybe 4 or 5 times a year I tow a small 5 x 8 utility trailer (2000 lbs max).

Last time it towed I notice they there was fail amount of sloppy shifts. Seems like the transmission was going in and out of gear every time it when to shift up.

I don't have any error codes, no signs of leaks (I plan to check the fluid level in the next few days). Original tranny, only had the coil packs replaced twice when it was new (~at 4K or 5K). Nothing has been done to it since. Only other major issues have been the timing chain about 20K miles ago, and wheel bearings.

Looking though other transmission post I would guess the issue might be servo bores being worn. I am guessing. Does it sound like a possible simple fix of a few hundred bucks or possible a re-manufactured transmission?

Since i have plans on getting a new vehicle within the year not looking to sink a bunch of money into this.

I am watching this thread because my wifes 2005 mounty has a very similar problem. I watched the videos and the all talk about the forward gears, but no mention about a problem in reverse only.

Back