My 2004 Explorer | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2004 Explorer

Brake upgrade update:
I am really liking the new and improved braking on this truck. I even drove it to work on Monday.
One thing is that there is no more brake pulsation, I beat the old brake setup so badly that the front rotors warped.
This happened when I was working 42 miles from home and had to drive on the Schuylkill Expressway(I-76) every day and some of that became stop and go traffic at different times of the day. Hate that road with a passion now.
So the brake pulsation had been there for quite some time now, and I am so glad it is gone.

The other thing is the actual braking is better and the brake pads are hardly seated in yet.
I need to check out the rear brakes/calipers and I'll bleed the system while adding new fluid when I get a chance.
The brake pads had FF marked on them as oposed to the ones that I just put on my 2000 which are FE.
The numbers are supposed to reflect the cold (first letter) and Hot(second letter) braking friction.
A letter later in the alphabet would have more friction.

I found the front sway bar links are plastic and splitting/cracking longwise down the plastic tube, so I will be ordering some links for this truck soon.
I need to check the rear suspension and differential mounts because I feel a clunking sometimes and the rear tires are chopped.
Front tires are smooth, I already replaced the upper balljoints and one inner tie rod so that end will be in good shape after installing new sway bar links.

I would like to get some Sport Trac Adrenaline looking wheels that are a bigger diameter than the 17's that are on there now.
This would be for more clearance between the caliper and the inner circumference of the wheel, there is a very small clearance now.
I think the rims I am looking for are 20 inch and may be found on newer Explorer too? I don't want wheel spacers so that might make things difficult?

A suspension drop and step bars/running boards would also help as I am shrinking in my old age and I almost have to climb up into it now. That and I would like to be able to pick my sister up in this truck to take her out and she is shorter than me. I also want to drive this vehicle hard, without flipping it over.

The seats are something else I want to swap out. I need something that will hold me in place a little better and be comfortable.
I slide on the leather ones that are in there now, and I swear they make my back hurt. I need a trip to the junkyard to play around and do some investigating. Hopefully I can go visit Harry's Upullit in Pennsburg before it gets cold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today (11-22-2020) I installed anti sway bar end links.
The old ones were cracked. The new ones have metal sleeves so I hope they last longer.
Moog parts of course, I have used Moog stuff for years and the quality is usually top notch.

Here is one of the cracked old ones.
IMG_8984.JPG

The old ones came out in pieces!
IMG_9028.JPG

The new ones have metal sleeves so I hope they last longer.
IMG_9018.JPG

The 20” Sport Trac wheels work really well on 3rd gens. No spacers required. I’m running 255-55-20 tires on them.

97D11171-EA60-4FE7-B2B2-78A42C275C69.jpeg

79421093-1AA9-4600-9D6C-A618E97E5631.jpeg

I took this truck to Atco Dragway today. I thought it was going to run 17's.
Did a little better than that. It's still slow, lol.

View attachment 322533

Here is what it looks like from just inside the windshield.

Sounds great and looks like fun!

I love the look of the Sport Trac Wheels. Where did you get them and how much were they?
Is your suspension modified in any way, lowered etc?

Nice explorer, damn..
Which supercharger are you running? How hard to install, did you do anything with fuel?

Nice explorer, damn..
Which supercharger are you running? How hard to install, did you do anything with fuel?
Thanks, its my second supercharged Explorer that I built, this one with the mindset of daily driver.
The supercharger is off a 03-04 Cobra, its called an M112 and made by Eaton. (there is also a M112 on the Ford Lightning but it has a different case design with a top inlet for the incoming air)

How hard is a hard question to answer, I didn't find it hard but I had already had my other supercharged Explorer for years and it had been through many changes along the way, including three different superchargers (Ford Thunderbird M90, Ford Lightning M112 then M122 off a GT500, then another M122 GT500 supercharger that has been altered with something called the snake bite kit (overdrive gears in the snout).

These superchargers just don't bolt to a 4.0 SOHC engine, there has to be a custom intake manifold to adapt it. I used kits from Ron Caster who owns bansheesupercharger.com but he has since retired from the 4.0 SOHC supercharger kit business. Their might be some used kits for sale on the internet.

The fuel system has been altered. I also have to run 93 octane. Fuel pump is a 340 lph turbine style pump (have to use turbine style with pulse width modulated fuel pumps like this 2004 Explorer). There are pictures of the fuel pump with brand name in this thread somewhere, LOL.
The fuel rails came with Ron's custom intake manifold kit. I have Ford Racing 47 lb injectors on this truck that work well with the 8-10 lbs of boost it has. (60 lb injectors on my other truck with 20 lbs of boost) There are also some adaptors in various places like one to adapt the stock fuel line to the custom fuel rail lines and another for the fuel pressure sensor that is used on this electronic returnless fuel system on this 2004 Explorer.

After installing the supercharger I tested back pressure and found the exhaust to be too restrictive. My SnapOn back pressure tester was being pinned at 16lbs of exhaust back pressure. Ford has a specification that says no more than 8lbs at wide open throttle when you are diagnosing exhaust systems for clogged catalytic converters and other exhaust restrictions. I had some exhaust work done which is basically a 3 inch system from behind the converter y pipe, with a Magnaflow Quietflow 3 Muffler. I wanted to be able to hear the supercharger over the exhaust and I didn't want an exhaust drone on the highway because I used to have a 42 mile ride to work. The Magnaflow muffler turned out to be a good choice because it is quiet and my back pressure came down to 7-8 lbs at wide open throttle.

Good summary there, of this and your other truck. I've read those details along the way as lots of us have.

I see an interesting point in there about the exhaust. You know I'm the sole person that thinks a bigger exhaust is always better, given the weight penalties accepted.

This truck of yours, most people would consider mild, and you did a great job making it reliable and driveable all the time, an SUV. That back pressure you wisely thought of and improved, I see that you got it to a good limit point.

That 4.0 with 8-10 psi of boost is at the back pressure limit set by the OEM. It has a stock 2.25" front half exhaust yes, with a single 3" back half exhaust, the one muffler and tail pipe. If that is fair to call representative of the minimum exhaust size needed for a 4.0 and 8-10psi, what should a 5.7 liter engine need with similar or more boost?

I believe that's where many Explorers have reached or headed to, and they all run 3" single exhausts. I don't know the details of their front halves, but I think they may be stock 2.25" cat pipes, plus the 1.5" headers. I see a point in this thinking, and I have mentioned it before. A single exhaust is almost always too small for a performance engine, and a 2.5" dual exhaust is old school common, and is good enough for most performance engines.

I don't mean to derail your thread here, I don't want a big discussion. I just want to spread(shine the light on) the evidence of what you just posted above with your great example of the limits of an exhaust on a 4.0 liter engine. For future reference many people may think back to your truck and these details. Regards,

Very well said Don, and if anyone wants to get into exhaust pipe sizing more I posted an equation years ago in my 98 supercharged Ex thread with lots of numbers in it. LOL

Mileage Update

IMG_9040.JPG

I love the look of the Sport Trac Wheels. Where did you get them and how much were they?
Is your suspension modified in any way, lowered etc?
I bought them used with tires that had about a year of use left on them. I paid around $450 CDN for them. Most sets (at least in northern climates) have an issue with corrosion and clear coat lifting. This set had already been sanded down and repainted. When I put replacement tires on, I sanded them down again and resprayed them. I use Dupli-Color wheel paint and clear coat. I also did a set in black for my Sport Trac. They were pretty rough originally and had junk tires. I paid about $250 CDN for them. Both vehicles are stock height and I don’t use spacers. 255-55-20 tires on both sets, putting them at about 31” tall. Second pic shows a sanded down wheel beside a newly painted black one. So yes, I do have two sets.

Attachments

• 06495FA8-90D6-4F9C-97DA-9F3491F0ABAE.jpeg
    06495FA8-90D6-4F9C-97DA-9F3491F0ABAE.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 25AEB729-3CC8-4628-A7EB-5E4F603473B5.jpeg
    25AEB729-3CC8-4628-A7EB-5E4F603473B5.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 73
  • BF6621E2-8ADF-47C1-9C47-60D10F4009B7.jpeg
    BF6621E2-8ADF-47C1-9C47-60D10F4009B7.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 03126E42-3AC2-4731-883A-AB26F5B40D67.jpeg
    03126E42-3AC2-4731-883A-AB26F5B40D67.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 70

I would pay 250 to 450 US dollars for a set if I could find them in good condition. Totally worth it.
I don't know if black or gray would look better on my silver truck.
You lucked out finding two sets for sure, and thanks for telling me the fit without spacers as I don't feel comfortable using spacers.
I wonder what the best way to word the search for these wheels would be, Sport Trac wheels?

I'd add Adrenalin and 20s or 20" to your search. As you know, they were also available on some late 4th gen Explorers, but weren't very common. I don't see them for sale often. Abut the only ones you see for sale will need refinishing. Just for reference, my silver set is Dupli Color "Hyper Silver" with a gloss clearcoat. That might look god on yours. They've also go a nice charcoal color. I just did a set of F150 wheels in charcoal. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of them.

This is the Dupli Color charcoal with clear coat. I just did these ones.

9CA451C8-C364-47B8-8E02-7324DE6A349E.jpeg

CB1ED8AB-0C3B-4A9C-95A6-82C0F29968D7.jpeg

CCB41140-11D0-4B8D-BB21-2966DAD7BB16.jpeg

AE7092E2-CCC4-46EF-B2F6-1400C8F39CF9.jpeg

32E81D11-B296-430F-A1AA-93010113C8B6.jpeg

Wow they turned out nice, I like that charcoal color.
I searched a bit yesterday and nothing showed up except over priced wheels.
I'm not spending 1600.00 for wheels. LOL

Check on Car-Part.com. I got mine for $40 each. Keep checking if you don't find a good price. I searched every day for a month until they showed up.

Good bye 2004 Explorer. It's time for change.

IMG_7521.jpg

Sorry to see it go. That was a nice one. I hope it went to a nice home.

I know things change, for sure.
I am really enjoying my 04 Mustang GT vert with the kenne bell 2.6. Relative to the explorer, its really easy to work on and is very responsive to changes.

My daily driver is now a 2020 Ford Fusion titanium plug in hybrid. I actually really like it. Super nice to drive, costs 70 cents in electricity to go about 40 miles, and in hybrid mode still gets crazy good mileage. This thong is packed with technology, and I am already tinkering with the electronics.

Hope your doing well, I havn't seen much of your vehicle antics.

Dono,
Good to hear from you!
That Mustang looks like a lot of fun, and easier to work on is a definite plus. Parts are easier to come by too.
The fusion has had great reviews, the hybrid is the way to go to save fuel.
Full electric vehicles don't seem to fit into our lives like the Hybrids do.

Life has been a struggle since 2016 when my father died, then my sister got help with her mental illness and I was able to reform a bond with her after 14 years of her not even recognizing me. It was great to have her back, even though she was a bit different than she used to be.

My sister passed from cancer, and I hit rock bottom, but I heal quicky and am feeling 100% myself now. The healing feels like a weight lifted off my back. I am doing spring cleaning, in the house and in my life. The 2004 had to go as it distracted me from my 98 which I plan to get out of the garage soon. I still have bad O2 readings on bank 2 and have a new O2 sensor to try out. I am really excited to get back to working on it.
Wish me luck! LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How Far

I don't know, it depends on how long it holds up to my abuse. lol.
looks real good i have an 04 getting long in tooth was a working truck by original owner hauled trees to dump
got it in 18 only did few repairs fords have module my been ok check wrenching with kenny yt he had ford 150 with trans trouble. i read theres a trans shift kit that replaces the main computer when they have that problem 4x4 r and r trans get expensive but the factory rebuild not craze bad something like a grand Imo ford ruined the explorer when they went front drive then back to rear but then a tiny 4cyl turbo was really dumb if ford don't fire the idiot CEO it will not be around in 2030

Back