• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cooler

Aevans

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ford explorer
We own a 2013 ford explorer with the tow package. We use our explorer to pull a travel trailer quite often. Does anyone know if the explorer has a transmission cooler? I've seen the order guides for the explorer interceptor edition and it has one, but am not sure if the regular explorer has a transmission cooler. I know it has an engine oil cooler and a few other goodies, so if anyone could help, it would be much appreciated!
Thank You everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, no dedicated cooler. There is a duct that runs underneath that channels air to the oil and tranny. More passive than anything else. That being said I've pulled close to 4,000lbs though hills of TN with no overheating issues.

We own a 2013 ford explorer with the tow package. We use our explorer to pull a travel trailer quite often. Does anyone know if the explorer has a transmission cooler? I've seen the order guides for the explorer interceptor edition and it has one, but am not sure if the regular explorer has a transmission cooler. I know it has an engine oil cooler and a few other goodies, so if anyone could help, it would be much appreciated!
Thank You everyone!
As per the Ford website, the Tow Package includes a Class III frame-mounted hitch, 4 and 7 pin trailer connectors and engine oil cooler. This seems to be the standard tow package on all the models.

Peter

As per the Ford website, the Tow Package includes a Class III frame-mounted hitch, 4 and 7 pin trailer connectors and engine oil cooler. This seems to be the standard tow package on all the models.

Peter

However, the engine oil cooler isn't even an oil cooler right? It's just that little opening that ducts to the oil pan it looks like. I see no oil cooler.

The engine oil cooler is located under the front cylinder bank exhaust manifold a bit right of center. If you look down the front of the engine under the exhaust manifold, you will see two insulated coolant lined attached to a square cooled bolted to the engine. The oil is cooled by coolant flow rather than air flow.

Nope, no dedicated cooler. There is a duct that runs underneath that channels air to the oil and tranny. More passive than anything else. That being said I've pulled close to 4,000lbs though hills of TN with no overheating issues.

If you're referring the cutout on the front lower facia/skirt that excepts that long rectangular duct, it's the Power Transfer Unit air cooling duct.

I asked one of the Explorer engineers at the last Ford Fleet event.

Apparently only Sport and XLT/Limited with tow package gets it.

Oil cooler

I purchased a 2014 xlt awd with the tow package, it has an oil cooler but is it for the engine or transmission oil?

I purchased a 2014 xlt awd with the tow package, it has an oil cooler but is it for the engine or transmission oil?
Welcome to the Forum Pilot.:wavey:
As per my PM to you, I have moved your post to this thread which should answer your question.
Congratulations on your new XLT and happy motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Only engine oil gets the cooler.

Power Transfer Unit gets air cooling on all retail models.

Police version has the only liquid cooled Power Transfer Unit.

I thought it was overkill but just found out some agency's are actually baking the PTU fluid into a tar like solid due to extreme heat. Its not easy to change the fluid either.

Thanks for the info, it's a question to which I was having trouble finding a definitive answer.

NECRO POST!!!!!!

Has anyone actually installed an aftermarket oil cooler onto their explorer? If so did you do it yourself or pay someone?

Only engine oil gets the cooler. Power Transfer Unit gets air cooling on all retail models. Police version has the only liquid cooled Power Transfer Unit. I thought it was overkill but just found out some agency's are actually baking the PTU fluid into a tar like solid due to extreme heat. Its not easy to change the fluid either.

Actually the XSport gets PTU cooling as well, same as Interceptor... And it is a real pita to change PTU fluid--esp on the ecoboost...

ok here is my the explorer has an engine oil cooler AND YES IT DOES HAVE A TRANS COOLER there are 2 hoses coming off the transmission they are next to the radiator and the cooler is at the top of the radiator support it may be with the radiator or the top of the condenser the police version has an additional cooler behind the front grill!

ok here is my the explorer has an engine oil cooler AND YES IT DOES HAVE A TRANS COOLER there are 2 hoses coming off the transmission they are next to the radiator and the cooler is at the top of the radiator support it may be with the radiator or the top of the condenser the police version has an additional cooler behind the front grill!
I would guess that there is likely a big difference between your 01 XLT and a 5th gen Explorer.

Peter

Oh BTW i did just buy a brand New 2015 explorer xlt with 4 wd and the 3.5l with the tow package it s totally obvious where the engine cooler but to see the Trans cooler lines they come off the back of the transmission and then they connect into a temp by pass valve Then they go to the top of the cooler which you cannot totally see because its connected to the top of the radiator ! if i can take pics i will and post them on here

Hey folks, just bumping this old thread as I haven't found the answer as to why the Sport is not equipped with an engine oil cooler (couldn't find any related info about the transmission oil cooler for any models either), whereas the XLT and Limited does come with the cooler; if the tow package is selected?

More HP and TQ puts less strain on the motor. The ecoboost does not need it where the standard 3.5 works harder pulling the same weight.

2011-2015 exp trans cooler

Hey guys I need some advice , I bought my 2015 explorer over the summer and I love it! it has the tow package, but I m interested in adding the addition trans cooler that the interceptor has part #DB5Z7R095A to mine.
I drive an interceptor at work for the fire dept.
my question is is it really worth it or is it needed, or should just regular transmission drain and fill be fine?
I don t do heavy towing and I m not heavy footed with my xlt ,
your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys I need some advice , I bought my 2015 explorer over the summer and I love it! it has the tow package, but I m interested in adding the addition trans cooler that the interceptor has part #DB5Z7R095A to mine.
I drive an interceptor at work for the fire dept.
my question is is it really worth it or is it needed, or should just regular transmission drain and fill be fine?
I don t do heavy towing and I m not heavy footed with my xlt ,
your advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would think that it is fine just the way it is. I'm sure there are others have put more demand on their vehicles without adding a transmission cooler. I don't recall anyone actually adding one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might add, the tranny (6F55) itself is a part of or, at least, a bonus part of the towing package but, maybe more of an upgrade with the 4WD option. :salute:

Back