Transmission Fluid Change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid Change?

Brownie11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT AWD
2011 XLT AWD owner's manual (p.430) says to change the automatic transmission fluid & filter every 150k miles. But the manual (same page) also gives "example 1" where it references changing the fluid at 30k miles. The dealer quoted ~ $200 to change the fluid. => has anyone else been told to change it at 30k??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 XLT AWD owner's manual (p.430) says to change the automatic transmission fluid & filter every 150k miles. But the manual (same page) also gives "example 1" where it references changing the fluid at 30k miles. The dealer quoted ~ $200 to change the fluid. => has anyone else been told to change it at 30k??
Examples 1 & 2 refer to the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor coming on at in between the 10,000 mile intervals. It does not refer to the transmission fluid change.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I'll chalk that up to a poorly written owner's manual. But the dealer (not referencing the owners manual) also recommended transmission fluid change at 30k miles. Does this make sense?

Thanks, Peter. I'll chalk that up to a poorly written owner's manual. But the dealer (not referencing the owners manual) also recommended transmission fluid change at 30k miles. Does this make sense?
Only if you're in business to make $$. Stick with the service interval shown in the Owner's Guide. If you do any towing or hard driving you may want to do it a bit earlier, but not at 30K miles.

Peter

Thanks.
Now for my really dumb question -- what IS the service interval for transmission fluid change that the Owner's guide recommends?? I had looked for that information and couldn't find it in my owners manual. What page is it on?

Thanks.
Now for my really dumb question -- what IS the service interval for transmission fluid change that the Owner's guide recommends?? I had looked for that information and couldn't find it in my owners manual. What page is it on?
The page numbers vary a little depending upon which printing of the manual you have. I believe I have the 1st printing and in my manual it is on page 431 in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide section.
It states to change it every 150,000 miles or 240,000 km.

Peter

I had both an early trans fluid change service and coolant flush & fill done back in April. Mileage was about 75,000. Total was just under $400.

These trucks are so easy to maintain. I will probably need brakes at about the 90,000 mile mark (fall 2013) and will elect to do the spark plugs at that time, too. I think Ford calls for new plugs at 90-100K.

On p.430 of my owners manual (January 2011, third printing), the table says to change automatic transmission fluid and filter every 150k miles. But the "example #1" directly above the table (describing a possible scenario) says "the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message comes on at 28,751 miles; perform the 30,000 mile automatic transmission fluid replacement." Seems like an inconsistency to me, so maybe it's a typo in my edition of the manual. I'll assume the table is correct and I'll probably be conservative and change it at 100k miles, and ignore the dealer who recommended it be changed at 30k.

On p.430 of my owners manual (January 2011, third printing), the table says to change automatic transmission fluid and filter every 150k miles. But the "example #1" directly above the table (describing a possible scenario) says "the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message comes on at 28,751 miles; perform the 30,000 mile automatic transmission fluid replacement." Seems like an inconsistency to me, so maybe it's a typo in my edition of the manual. I'll assume the table is correct and I'll probably be conservative and change it at 100k miles, and ignore the dealer who recommended it be changed at 30k.
That is obviously a misprint. It should have said oil change not transmission fluid.

Crystal, perhaps you should bring this error to someone's attention. I looked at the 4th printing of the 2011 manual and it says the same thing.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Good suggestion to Crystal to get the typo fixed. Apparently my dealer is confused by it too :) They recommended changing the transmission fluid at 30k when they changed the engine oil.

BTW, nice looking dogs in your avatar. Got a 1.5 yr old tri-color collie myself.
-Bill

There is a a lot out there to cover both sides of the transmission fluid change argument.

One is that if you perform regular mx on it then it's good, but if it's been neglected and high mileage then don't do it as it will most likely cause slipping and other issues.

It's said that reverse power flushes are really bad for transmissions, but if run forward it's fine. I'll defer there to someone who knows a bit more but this will give you a few things to look into.

Hi Peter,
Good suggestion to Crystal to get the typo fixed. Apparently my dealer is confused by it too :) They recommended changing the transmission fluid at 30k when they changed the engine oil.

BTW, nice looking dogs in your avatar. Got a 1.5 yr old tri-color collie myself.
-Bill
Bill, I sent Crystal a PM about this as well. The 150,000 mile change is under normal circumstances. There are two other conditions mentioned that do call for a transmission fluid change at 30,000 miles but they are not for normal driving. It is all rather confusing the way it is laid out.

Peter

There is a a lot out there to cover both sides of the transmission fluid change argument.

One is that if you perform regular mx on it then it's good, but if it's been neglected and high mileage then don't do it as it will most likely cause slipping and other issues.

It's said that reverse power flushes are really bad for transmissions, but if run forward it's fine. I'll defer there to someone who knows a bit more but this will give you a few things to look into.

WOW! Does this sound like an "Old Wives Tale".

Now looking at my reciept from the trans fluid change service

4/4/13
72,553 miles

Trans Fluid Exchange
Circulate system cleaner
Exchange ATF
Install conditioner
Circulate transmission cleaner
Exchange fluid with new Mercon V ATF
Install all premium ATF conditioner

FMC XT 10 QLVC Oil- Automatic Tran 12 unites (fluid) $7.52 each $90.24 sub-total
010 01941 Trans Flush Kit $53.83
Labor $87.34

$231.41

Service Special Adjustment (I don't know what this was) -$56.46

Final amount was $174.95

Again done early. Pretty cheap. Less 0.0024 cents per mile.

Hi everyone!

Hopefully I can clear up a few things for you. :) Peter brought this to my attention and I went ahead and reached out to my technical advisor. The examples that you have pointed out are in the Special Operating Conditions of the Owner's Manual. If you operate your vehicle under these conditions, then we do recommend that you get your transmission fluid replaced at 30,000 miles.

The example is a bit confusing; I had to talk it out with my technical advisor just to make sure I had it right. The example is trying to explain a scenario where an Explorer, while being operated in those Special Conditions, has an OIL CHANGED REQUIRED light go off at 28,751 miles. In this instance, we would recommend that you get both your oil changed and your transmission fluid replaced, since the vehicle is so close to 30,000 miles. Again, this is just for vehicles that are operated in what we consider to be Special Operating Conditions.

If you have any additional questions, let me know!

Crystal

Hi everyone!

Hopefully I can clear up a few things for you. :) Peter brought this to my attention and I went ahead and reached out to my technical advisor. The examples that you have pointed out are in the Special Operating Conditions of the Owner's Manual. If you operate your vehicle under these conditions, then we do recommend that you get your transmission fluid replaced at 30,000 miles.

The example is a confusing; I had to talk it out with my technical advisor just to make sure I had it right. The example is trying to explain a scenario where an Explorer, while being operated in those Special Conditions, has an OIL CHANGED REQUIRED light go off at 28,751 miles. In this instance, we would recommend that you get both your oil changed and your transmission fluid replaced, since the vehicle is so close to 30,000 miles. Again, this is just for vehicles that are operated in what we consider to be Special Operating Conditions.

If you have any additional questions, let me know!

Crystal
That still leaves a few questions. Why is that same example #1 stated under Normal Scheduled Maintenance if it is just for Special Conditions?
Also, since the Oil Life Monitor comes on at 10k miles and is reset each time, how do ever get a message at 30k miles?

I think examples 1 & 2 are for those instances where the monitor was not reset and comes on at a later time. That would mean that you take it to the next 10k interval. There would be absolutely no reason to have to change the transmission fluid at 30k under normal scheduled maintenance even though the manual says to change it. Doesn't make sense.:scratch:

Peter

WOW! Does this sound like an "Old Wives Tale".

Do what you want, but plenty of cars have proven this old wives tail. Take an old worn transmission and flush it and see how much it starts to slip.

Now the thing to take away in my book is, don't neglect it and its not such a problem. I know i'll never change the fluid on my Pontiac again though, it got sloppy after I did at 40k and was forced to do it again at 60k due to a leaking gasket. Both times it's gotten worse.

Now this car is making a good bit more then from the factory, has had lots of track passes, and doesn't have nearly as much torque management enabled...but it's not the first or last tranny to decline after fluid swaps.

flush it

change the fluid

fluid swaps.

Let's not interchange power flush, drain and refill, and exchange. They are 3 different things.

First, I havent found anyone who does a power flush anymore. Maybe they exist. I know BG, AAMCO, etc. make them, but I have only seen exchange systems in use.

Everything I've seen and used (BG, etc.) is an exchange system, that hooks into the cooler lines and "exchanges" the fluid, using the transmission's own pump pressure.

Drain and fill or "Change" is just that. Drain what is in the pan, and refill what is drained, leaving a significant amount of old fluid in the transmission since it all doesn't drain into the pan.

I've used BG exchanges on old and new....all without problems. Their synthetic fluid is highly rated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That still leaves a few questions. Why is that same example #1 stated under Normal Scheduled Maintenance if it is just for Special Conditions?
Also, since the Oil Life Monitor comes on at 10k miles and is reset each time, how do ever get a message at 30k miles?

I think examples 1 & 2 are for those instances where the monitor was not reset and comes on at a later time. That would mean that you take it to the next 10k interval. There would be absolutely no reason to have to change the transmission fluid at 30k under normal scheduled maintenance even though the manual says to change it. Doesn't make sense.:scratch:

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'll send this up the line to my supervisor. In the mean time, I recommend giving your dealership's service manager a call so they can get your questions answered.

Crystal

Back