TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN & REFILL - AMOUNT OF REPLACEMENT FLUID NEEDED? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN & REFILL - AMOUNT OF REPLACEMENT FLUID NEEDED?

Bobs2018ExplorerSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Livermore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport 4WD
Callsign
KD6ANY
I wanted to do a simple transmission "drain & refill", on my 2018 Explorer Sport (3.5 dual-turbo, with 6F55 tow-package transmission), but I'm having trouble ascertaining just how much new fluid will actually be needed to refill it.

The service manual only states that, for a complete transmission "removal" and rebuild, it requires 6.5 quarts. It also says that if the "side cover" is removed, it takes 4.5 quarts. However, the owners manual, as well as the factory service manual (and AllData) shows the capacity as being "11 quarts" or "11.6 quarts", depending on which source you're looking at.

I guess I'm looking to hear from anyone who has actually done the simple "drain and fill" service on this same late-model transmission, and how many quarts it actually took them to refill it? As an example, I don't want to purchase 12 quarts, only to then find out that this procedure only required 4 quarts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have done my Explorer (2018 Palatium) twice and my Taurus (2019 SHO) once, same engine and Trans. If you have 6 quarts of new fluid (LV) that should be more then enough.

Thank you for sharing your experience; that's kind of what I figured!

Last week I had the Dealer do a "Complete Power Fluid Exchange" and the invoice shows 11 quarts and a Transmission Kit were used. The 6F55 Trans holds 11.6 quarts so it looks like all of the old fluid was removed/replaced. This is the second time I've had this done in 50k miles.

(Dealer also exchanged the 75w140 oil in my second PTU last week (fail @ 29k miles, post 454), called it a 'Light truck service'.)

Last week I had the Dealer do a "Complete Power Fluid Exchange" and the invoice shows 11 quarts and a Transmission Kit were used. The 6F55 Trans holds 11.6 quarts so it looks like all of the old fluid was removed/replaced. This is the second time I've had this done in 50k miles.

(Dealer also exchanged the 75w140 oil in my second PTU last week (fail @ 29k miles, post 454), called it a 'Light truck service'.)
If you have the 3.5 na engine there is no way they did all that, you can't get the filter out without dropping the engine and cradle. There also not much chance they were able to get that much fluid out....the only thing they may have done is added the 6 quarts, started it, then drained it again. I would ask for more details on the service you are paying for, doesn't seem right.

If you have the 3.5 na engine there is no way they did all that, you can't get the filter out without dropping the engine and cradle. There also not much chance they were able to get that much fluid out....the only thing they may have done is added the 6 quarts, started it, then drained it again. I would ask for more details on the service you are paying for, doesn't seem right.
My Platinum has the 3.5l twin turbo, not the NA motor.

Explat Trans oil exchange.jpg

I'm curious... what does the "NA" stand for?

You must have missed the words “Complete Power Fluid Exchange”…….

That’s how they got 11 quarts out.

Oh, now I understand what the NA means; thanks!

BTW, my Ford factory shop manual DOES outline a procedure for doing a complete fluid replacement for both the 6F50 and 6F55 transmissions, using a proprietary fluid-exchange machine that presumably all Ford service departments have in their inventory.... but, in all cases, removing and replacing the transmission filter itself also does appear to require transmission removal. It refers to that filter as being "internal" (aren't they all, technically)?

There is a process to replace all the fluid in the transmission. Need a machine

BTW, my Ford factory shop manual DOES outline a procedure for doing a complete fluid replacement for both the 6F50 and 6F55 transmissions, using a proprietary fluid-exchange machine that presumably all Ford service departments have in their inventory.
It's been my experience (and I'm old enough to know) that Ford Dealers don't all have the same attitude, abilities and equipment. Lately, a new Ford dealership was built near me that also sells Shelby, Roush and Tuscany built vehicles and they have some extraordinary service advisors, equipment and technicians.
More to the point, I called the Service Dept up and asked if they would change the oil in my PTU, they said 'sure, we can do that'. That was the only affirmative answer after calling about 8 different dealers, OK!
I immediately took advantage of a Service Department 'Special' for a "3-Pack" Trans, Brake fluid and Coolant exchanges along with the PTU oil exchange. Only took one day, in by 7am, out by 4pm, along with a car wash.

My 2016 Explat may only have 50k miles but it is almost 8 years old (build date in 2015) and I am planning to keep it a while longer.

Getting back to the original question...

Just did a drain and fill on my '15 this afternoon.

Drained the fluid into a pan that I had already weighed (empty) on my refrigerant scale. Got 7lb 15 oz. of fluid. Filled back up with the same weight of fluid which turned out to be about 4 1/2 quarts of MaxLife.

Called it a day at 133, 630 miles. Explorer is ready for a 2500 mile road trip next week. Did this back in February before a long March trip.

I just did my "drain and refill" yesterday, and it took exactly 4.5 qts. on mine to refill it as well. That's about 38% of it's total capacity. After doing so, my shifts are now a bit smoother than before, as well.

Same, got about 4.5 qts as well. Think I did the drain, drove it a bit, drained again, drove it a week, then did the 3rd one. Shifts great now, just leaks water through the passenger seat-belt mount. :hammer:

Back