Transmission Fluid Flush

dothedeww

Reaction score
City, State
West Friendship, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
06 Explorer xlt 4.0

So the dealer wants me to change my tranny fluid (no surprise)....$450. And since theres no dipstick, I can do it.

I checked with other local shops..they said they cant do it, only the dealer can.

So I recently ran across the shop (Mr Tire), they are well known in MD as a full-service shop with multiple (over 10) locations. They said they could flush out the system for $120. The reason they were able to do it is because they know of a rubber plug that is the fill hole for the tranny fluid and lets you check the level. They said this rubber plug is unknown to most....mainly so the dealer can make more money.

The other thing they said (Mr Tire) is that most people are recommending not changing the filter...just flushing the system out completely.

Are both of these true? Should I get it done at Mr. Tire?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i worked at a Mr. tire around here. they have nice machines. i would get it done there, all a flush requires is taking a line from the radiator or tranny cooler and splicing in. the system completely flushs taking out all the old fluid and replacing the right amount back in. if you truck has more than 75K miles then you might want to think about a filter change as well. in that case they would have to get to the plug. im pretty sure the reasoning for taking away the dipstick is that people would not mess with it, being under warranty.:rolleyes:

Ive got 68k on mine right now...I should just get the filter done. But Mr Tire said they still dont recommend filter changes. Will they do one if I ask or do they only do transmission flushes?

Plus I bought mine used..Idk what they did to it before I got it...the tranny could be toast.

I have changed my filter twice. This rubber plug they are talking about is actually the dip stick. You can check out you fluid level but you have to crawl under the truck and remove the plug and there is your dip stick it is only a couple of inches long.

Changing that filter is no different than any transmission filter. It is tricky to get the fluid back in. I rigged a funnel with a long hose and ran it out the wheel well to pour in the fluid.

slim

hmm. You have any pix of exactly where its located?

Sounds easy..except for the filling part.

Ive done it before on my other vehicles..this one is just crazy.

Any anymore info on "not changing the filter"?

when i worked there, i was told not to sell tranny filters for fear of being sued. basically if anything happened to your tranny, you could take them to court. which i can understand. word of mouth is that when you do a tranny service it stirs up some mixed metal shavings from the tranny pan. so if you get the filter changed they drop the pan and clean those shavings out. others say to leave the tranny alone in newer trucks. im old school, i need my fluids changed, i need my filters changed. its really your call, being an 06 you can probably hold off on the filter. if you do get the flush be sure to ask for the before and after fluid sample to see the difference. and ask if they are using a 3-part system cleaner.

Alright, Ill defintly ask those questions.

See...I had a 99 dodge before this. Changed the tranny fluid/filter at 100k and 300 miles later the tranny went kapoot. Most say if I didnt change the filter id be good.....even though dodge trannys suck anyway.

But thats what scares me about changing the filterr

I think you should change the filter. Every time I change the filter I am amazed at how dirty it is.

I may have spoke to soon. I have a 6 speed v8. However, it sounds like it is similar. I do not have a picture but I can describe it and if you need a picture I can get one.

Mine is on the passage side. The whole thing is hexagon and it is about two inches long. So it look like a long bolt head. Also, it is kind of large, I am guessing at the size maybe 3/4" or 1". So you are looking for something about size of a 1" inch deep well socket that is hexagon shaped. Just turn it off.

Alright. But hte plug is facing upwards right? So if I pull out the plug fluid isnt gonna go pouring everywhere right?

But i wouldnt be so leary about changing the filter if that didnt happen to my dodge

Yes it faces up. When you take out the plug no fluid will come out.

If you have not maintained you transmission you get so much dirt and sediment, it is like plaque. When you disturb a neglected transmission you disturb all that junk and cause a failure. You have 65k on it, I do not think it is to late. I also have a 2000 Windstar with 191k on it and I have put at least 6 new filters on it.

aiight. I didnt think so...but after working on a dodge..im a little lienant. Everything was bass ackwards on that dodge

I may try to go ahead and get the filter done....but then again the last 30k on this thing has been purely highway...so that may help it a little..plus it has never toed. Ill see what mr tire will do...b/c I am not paying the dealer 450 to do it.

Maybe this image will help a bit.

I also found a PDF of the changing procedre. Not a good qualitiy, but good enough to make you afraid.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/molurch/2009-02-08_191436_exp.pdf

... The transmissions have gotten a bit trickier over the years though. The old tricks of do it yourself auto repair have gone away, and this vehicle is the perfect example of this. Ford has designed a "sealed" transmission which makes it where every ordinary Joe is incapable of just pulling the dipstick, and checking the transmission fluid on oil changes, and at every other fill up. This system is designed to be checked and filled through a special fitting on the bottom of the transmission pan with a specialty tool that can be purchased through your local dealership for around 60 to 100 dollars. This also eliminates the home mechanic from doing a transmission filter change. Bad Ford...Bad... This service which most people will have to go to the dealer to do will average you anywhere from around 80 to 120 dollars depending on what region you are in. ...

I just did this on my 06 explorer using an MityVac 7201 fluid evacuator to pump the fluid in.
Do this at your own risk!

1)Lift truck up on jack stands so truck is level.

2)Remove large drain plug and drain fluid.

3)Remove pan, change filter clean magnet and pan.

4)Install pan, reinstall large drain plug minus center fill plug (there is a small fill plug in the center of the large plug)

5)Fill about 5 quarts of mercon v in the evacuator connect the evacuator to the center fill port using an 1/8 pipe to hose fitting.

NOTE: The evacuator can pump or suck fluid depending on the valve position.

6)Pump the 5 quarts into the pan with the engine off leave the evacuator connected.

Note: for the next step you will need a special tool to disconnect the ford oil cooler hose it must be ford oil cooler specific. the hose is the return from the oil cooler that is in front of the radiator. The oil flows from the lower transmission pipe to the radiator oil cooler out to the front oil cooler back to the transmission so you need to disconnect the hose that is up above the hoses that are connected to the radiator.

7)Disconnect the trans oil cooler hose that comes out of the front oil cooler.
I installed a length of hard plastic hose into the female side of this hose and into a pan.

8) Get a helper, make sure you did step 6. start engine while you watch fluid coming out of the oil cooler hose into a pan when about 2 quarts come out stop engine.

9)Load evacuator with 3 quarts of fluid and pump it into the transmission.

10)Have the helper again start the engine and pump out about 2 quarts of fluid and stop the engine.

11)Reconnect the oil cooler line and install the black plastic lock.

12)Load evacuator with 2 quarts of fluid,do not pump this into the transmission.

13)Start engine and using the evacuator in suction mode see if fluid is being sucked back into the evacuator(the plastic hose is translucent so you can see if fluid is returning or you are sucking air).

14)If air is coming out switch evacuator to pressure and start filling the transmission.

Note:You will need to let the transmission warm up and put the gear shift through all the gears (make sure you apply the brake while doing this).

Note:The transmission is full when with the engine running you put the evacuator in suction mode and some fluid comes out and then air.

15)With the engine still running remove evacuator and install small center plug.

:p:

Damn, they make it difficult for us. I wish it was easy like my F250.:(

The time and effort to do it yourself and having the dealer do the job - which is less labor intensive ? It looks like with the tools, labor, time to do it yourself, the dealer could do it. If the dealer screws up, they can repair it, if I do it, who going to pay ? Me

Back