60,000 miles - Coolant and Transmission Flush? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

60,000 miles - Coolant and Transmission Flush?

jdc28va

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum (Blue)
Callsign
KK4AIB
Are a coolant and transmission flush advisable at 60,000 miles? I'm coming up on 60,000, and called my dealership to see what else they'd recommend when I brought it in for a 60,000 mile oil change. In addition to a new fuel filter and air filter (which I've already replaced myself), the guy said they recommend a coolant flush and transmission flush.

I believe the manual calls for a transmission flush at 100k, and I don't recall what it said for a coolant flush. Are these smart to do at 60k? Are they something I can do myself?

Thanks,
JDC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO 60k is the right time to do it. 100k is way too long. There are several ways to remove and replace transmission fluid. The are good threads in the transmission forum on this site, and also an excellent thread on the BITOG site. You can do it yourself. You will read a lot about flushing and the pros and cons of it. I decided against flushing. I did a ton of research on this last year. You can disconnect the return line from the cooler (the Ford disconnect tool is needed) and using the ignition key to cycle a quart or so at a time out of the return line and pump the same amount into the fill plug at the bottom of the tranny pan. Keep going until fresh fluid is coming out. You can also cut the return line and when you're done install an in-line external filter. Again, IMO one of the two ways I described is the best way to do it. You'll replace the most fluid that way. Have 16 quarts on hand. I would suggest using a full synthetic.

IMO 60k is the right time to do it. 100k is way too long. There are several ways to remove and replace transmission fluid. The are good threads in the transmission forum on this site, and also an excellent thread on the BITOG site. You can do it yourself. You will read a lot about flushing and the pros and cons of it. I decided against flushing. I did a ton of research on this last year. You can disconnect the return line from the cooler (the Ford disconnect tool is needed) and using the ignition key to cycle a quart or so at a time out of the return line and pump the same amount into the fill plug at the bottom of the tranny pan. Keep going until fresh fluid is coming out. You can also cut the return line and when you're done install an in-line external filter. Again, IMO one of the two ways I described is the best way to do it. You'll replace the most fluid that way. Have 16 quarts on hand. I would suggest using a full synthetic.

Thanks. What's the BITOG site?

Bob is the Oil Guy

I have two issues with that video.

1)No filter change, if there is that much goop on the plug guess how much non magnetic debris there is in the filter.

2)Think about it.
a)he drains the trans sump.
b)then he adds a few quarts to the sump.
c)after that he disconnects the cooler line and blows the old fluid back into the sump.

But that is the way to do it(easy when you have a dipstick hole to pour fluid into).

Other option - tap the tranny pan

I have not yet done this to my 06 Explorer, but for my 02 Dodge Caravan I bought a $10 tap and plug bolt. When I dropped the transmission pan to do a filter and fluid change, I drilled the pan in spot (test is first to make sure there is clearance) and installed a plug that allows you to drain the transmission fluid by removing the bolt, just like you can drain the engine oil by removing the plug/bolt on the oil pan. This way, you don't hesitate to change your transmission fluid more often (avoiding the hassle/mess of dropping the pan). Granted, you are not changing the filter, but it sure makes it easy to change the fluid every 20K.

Back