Transmission issues again

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
I had my transmission rebuilt at a local shop back in the fall. Now 10 months and 9,000 miles later I am having trouble shifting in and out of 3rd gear which came about out of the blue. I am still under warranty, however the shop I had it done at is in the process of finishing up some jobs they have going on and closing their doors for good and told me to call him Friday to see what day to bring it in next week. What happens now in the event he bangs up? Am I just fu(ked or is there any course of action I can take against the buisness? I just have a bad feeling about this and am trying to prepare for the worst

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't sound good but it is hard to get money from an incorporated business that closes its doors. I agree that they have little incentive to fix a transmission under warranty at this point. Especially if they are declaring bankruptcy. While I am no attorney, I bet that once they dissolve their business corporation suing them might be impossible and collecting money if you do will be even more impossible.

Did they do a total rebuild? Did you see the case empty with the new/upgraded parts going in? They may have just repaired it. In other words fixed the broken parts. A quality total rebuild is close to $3000.

I guess the only thing I can do at this point is to play it out see what happens.

I wasn’t there to see what kind of teardown he did, however my original issue was with 3rd gear. I requested a full rebuild since I was already at 210,000 miles which he supposedly did resleeving the case with brass, new servos, new torque converter, cleaning the lines and cooler...the whole 9. He did cut me a break on it because one of his guys lost my key, but eventually found it (I should have known then).

I don’t beat on it and most driving is highway based. It shouldn’t have gone again. I just don’t get it :banghead:

I had my transmission rebuilt at a local shop back in the fall. Now 10 months and 9,000 miles later I am having trouble shifting in and out of 3rd gear which came about out of the blue. I am still under warranty, however the shop I had it done at is in the process of finishing up some jobs they have going on and closing their doors for good and told me to call him Friday to see what day to bring it in next week. What happens now in the event he bangs up? Am I just fu(ked or is there any course of action I can take against the buisness? I just have a bad feeling about this and am trying to prepare for the worst
Hummm awhhh! What tranny do u have? What engine do you have?

Details are weak.

I have the 4.slow with the infamous 5R55s

Fwiw I called the shop this morning as I was told by him to do and he’s taking it in the shop Tuesday. Believes a servo went bad again, but says that he will check it over and replace whatever needs to be replaced under warranty. Looks like my baby will be going in for surgery again. Keeping my fingers crossed for better long term results this time around

He says the solenoid pack is bad, but won’t give me a clear answer as to whether it would be covered or not which I am not liking.

I’m wondering is the solenoid pack something they typically change on an overhaul? Been trying to research, but coming back with mixed answers

He says the solenoid pack is bad, but won’t give me a clear answer as to whether it would be covered or not which I am not liking.

I’m wondering is the solenoid pack something they typically change on an overhaul? Been trying to research, but coming back with mixed answers
If you weren't given a specific itemized list of components they were replacing then I say this repair is under a warranty.

To follow up he didn’t charge me anything for the new solenoid pack. I believe that’s all that was changed. After getting it back it and driving it home it seamed fine shifted smooth, but now after taking it out a 2nd time I’m having problems again. I have both the check engine & wrench lights on. It had a delay when I first put it in drive and now it’s not shifting properly. It’s revving up then going. Then it’s holding the gear before it shifts. I didn’t go far I ended up turning around and bringing it back home. The check engine light is a P0135 bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor so I know that’s unrelated. I had a buddy of mine scan the wrench light its a P0732 transmission gear #2 incorrect ratio. Can that be a faulty solenoid pack causing that? It’s definitly not just a 2nd gear issue for me. I think I read somewhere the aftermarket ones can wreak all sorts of havoc

To follow up he didn’t charge me anything for the new solenoid pack. I believe that’s all that was changed. After getting it back it and driving it home it seamed fine shifted smooth, but now after taking it out a 2nd time I’m having problems again. I have both the check engine & wrench lights on. It had a delay when I first put it in drive and now it’s not shifting properly. It’s revving up then going. Then it’s holding the gear before it shifts. I didn’t go far I ended up turning around and bringing it back home. The check engine light is a P0135 bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor so I know that’s unrelated. I had a buddy of mine scan the wrench light its a P0732 transmission gear #2 incorrect ratio. Can that be a faulty solenoid pack causing that? It’s definitly not just a 2nd gear issue for me. I think I read somewhere the aftermarket ones can wreak all sorts of havoc
Did you get your problem fixed>

Just thought I would add my 2 cents again. These transmissions are weak and run hot. When problems surface they need a total rebuild. Not a budget repair. Like you see on here. A full rebuild with upgraded parts is all of $3000.

chuc65k I did not get it fixed. It’s been sitting in my driveway for the most part. It is driveable, just don’t like to. It is holding shifts before up shifting and seems to go through all the gears most of the time. The slipping seems to happen more when the temps are cooler and the engine cold. I pull over put it in park for 30 seconds then back into drive and that seems to get it working again. I actually ended up buying a 2015 explorer.

Blackexplorer06, I had a full rebuild on it last year. New clutches, servos, casing resleeved with brass, new torque converter, etc. I would have to dig out my receipt again for the full description. The wrench light never came back on. Only codes that come up are related to b1s1 heater circuit malfunction. The reason I thought of it possibly being the solenoid pack was because it was already rebuilt and when I brought it back the 2nd time prior to the trans shop going under he put an aftermarket solenoid in. I found out after that can make things a bit screwy. I also had the fluid checked by a mechanic I trust. It is full, clean and doesn’t smell burnt or anything.

Back