transmission lines leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission lines leaking

Reaction score
City, State
mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xl
so my newly aquired 97 explorer is leaking transmission fluid from the cooler lines. would it be easier to make my own lines or get factory lines? anyone have to do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you're referring to the metal ones not the rubber ones right?

Look on the forum about using steel fuel lines to make your own. I've read of people bending some they buy in bulk and flaring the ends. Here's one helpful post. Do some more research on it though I couldn't find a good definitive thread.

Look on the forum about using steel fuel lines to make your own. I've read of people bending some they buy in bulk and flaring the ends. Here's one helpful post. Do some more research on it though I couldn't find a good definitive thread.

thank you very much for the help :)........im going to read through that link later when i get home....right now im at work surfing the forum the best i can on my blackberry lol. so if the question im about to ask is answered in the above link..im sorry lol. so the question is.....can i replace the steel lines with rubber hoses?

Some people have done it, but I would personally make your own replacement steel lines. It appears to be a simple job. That seems more sturdy and less prone to leaks from things like rocks getting kicked up.

Some people have done it, but I would personally make your own replacement steel lines. It appears to be a simple job. That seems more sturdy and less prone to leaks from things like rocks getting kicked up.

yeah that makes sense...the rubber probably isnt such a great idea. i can get the oem replacement lines from ford for $40 each, but you think it would be easier to just make my own?

It would be a good skill to learn since the brake lines will have to be replaced this way too someday. Although the brake lines and fuel lines are different in style. What did you decide?

Back