Transmission Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Problem

slace22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I have 1994 explorer with manual treansmission and 2 wheel drive.
Coming home from work the things just locked up, would not move anymore, i had to get it towed home.
The explorer now will not go into any gear without being forced, it will not move any gear except........neutral , neutral now seems to be first gear.
I am sure the tranny is gone so now next question is this , is there any site anywhere that tells you exactly how to remove it?
Thanks for any info.
HR

Does the tranny have fluid?

It might just be a problem in the linkage/ shift forks / shift rails. It might be an easier fix than you think. But you won't know until it comes out and is opened up.

There is a lot of information here on how to do it. Search for the threads. There are also some good ones over an the Ranger Station forum. But the process is pretty obvious. Get everything out of the way (much easier with 2WD). Unplug the sensors and the clutch slave (push in on the collar to remove). Remove the cross member. Remove the bell housing bolts. Transmission comes out. Getting the exhaust out of the way first helps a lot, though some people have left it there. As I said, there are some other threads here that go into all the detail.

Help!!

Hi, 02 explorer not shifting into 2nd and 5th. OVerdrive flashing and service engine light came on after a hard shift. Code P0775 is showing. Changed solenoid block. Nothing changed. Took out tranny there was a broken servo. Replaced and put back together, but nothing has changed. This transmission was rebuilt 3 years ago. so I believe the boring has been done already. is this electrical or any ideas on what I can do next?? PLEASe Please and thank you!

Back