• Register Today It's free!

Transmission removal HELP.!!.

Axial32

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 2dr. V8 Sport
OK.. So I'm working on a friends 1997 4dr. V8 Explorer.. She has a huge leak of transmission fluid.. as you pour the oil in it comes right back out... The leak is coming from the front of the transmission... as like it would be the front input seal. The problem we're having is dropping the transmission:thumbdwn:, We have everything undone except for two bellhousing bolts and the exhaust:mad:. The exhaust shouldn't be in the way for dropping the transmission but it's in the way for removing a couple bolts... They are the top most bolt on the passenger side and the other one is just above where the starter would be on the passenger side. Any tips or ways to get those bolts out??? Please help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the transmission tunnel plate from under the center console. Or, with the rear of the transmission supported with a jack, unbolt the tranny crossmember and lower it slightly allowing for more room above the bell housing.

I'll try them next time I work on it..

OK....section525... thanks for the tips but neither worked.. so we pieced about 3.5' of extensions together to get one out and finally got the last bolt out with a custom 5/8 wrench belt to a "C" shape...

The problem is it still won't come out.. We've jacked up and yanked on it we've got everything off that is necessary to seperate the two, but it won't budge...
First could anyone point me to exactly how many bolts hold the trans. to the 5.0... just incase I missed one.. Or could anyone give any tricks of how they would seperate the two....

^...bump...^

Did you remove the access cover at the bottom font of the bellhousing and remove the four nuts that attach the torque converter to the flywheel? The engine has to be rotated to get to them as they are 90 degrees apart. Also, has the starter been removed?

Yep... everything that needs to be removed is removed... We've taken out transmissions before... in our suburban, in a bronco, this is the first explorer though... But it is stuck and won't come loose off of the motor

*^...Bump...^* again...

perhaps the centering dowels are a little sticky and holding it together? i believe there are 6 bolts on a 302.

i assume you tried wiggling everything violently to see it it'll "pop" apart.. if not try that

ok thank you... we'll just give it some more hell and hope it "pops" loose...

YEAH>>!!>> We finally got it out... with a racket strap from the trans to the rear bumper and a couple blows of the hammer and prybar.. IT"S OUT..... looks like the input shaft seal went bad with the 250K+ miles on it. A little $8.99 part.. and now we can go put it back together...

ok thank you... we'll just give it some more hell and hope it "pops" loose...
]

do i detect some sarcasm?

YEAH>>!!>> We finally got it out... with a racket strap from the trans to the rear bumper and a couple blows of the hammer and prybar.. IT"S OUT..... looks like the input shaft seal went bad with the 250K+ miles on it. A little $8.99 part.. and now we can go put it back together...

well looks like you tried "giving it some more hell and hoping it pops loose" and it worked, eh? :D

Ok.. we replaced the input seal.. got everything back together and road worthy.. guess what It Still Leaks like a $&@#%^... so it is either the pump seal too, or the torque converter... oaah welll.. We're looking at getting a whole different trans. for 250 with 80K on it... Possibly the 5.0 that goes with it too..? from a wrecked 98 ...

Back