• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Shifting

noXcuses12

Reaction score
City, State
Coastal, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited
I've noticed my MPG getting worse as I put more miles on ex. It feels like the shift points are changing to a higher RPM. I've read that these points are calculated by computer and adapts to driving style. I recently took a 500mile trip which I used the adaptive cruise control. I noticed that if someone got in the gap setting range and then moved out, the exp shifted into lower gears often. After the trip and on a new tank the mileage had dropped about 2mpg in the same driving conditions. It feels like it's shifting at slightly higher RPMs.

Is is possible to reset and start over? Or will it go back over time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if there is a less invasive way to do it, but I understand that disconnecting the battery causes those settings to disappear and forces the computer to re-learn your driving habits.

I've noticed my MPG getting worse as I put more miles on ex. It feels like the shift points are changing to a higher RPM. I've read that these points are calculated by computer and adapts to driving style. I recently took a 500mile trip which I used the adaptive cruise control. I noticed that if someone got in the gap setting range and then moved out, the exp shifted into lower gears often. After the trip and on a new tank the mileage had dropped about 2mpg in the same driving conditions. It feels like it's shifting at slightly higher RPMs.

I believe dropping to lower gear to get back to the set speed is a normal function. The same thing happens if you press 'Resume' on the Adaptive Speed Control. It gets you back to your setting as fast as possible as opposed to a gradual increase.
Disconnecting the battery will cause the shift points to be relearned along with the idle and fuel trim for optimum performance. I believe it will also relearn this over a period of time. There is a 'how to' in the Owner's Manual, in the Maintenance and Specifications under Battery that you can follow as well.

Peter

I believe dropping to lower gear to get back to the set speed is a normal function. The same thing happens if you press 'Resume' on the Adaptive Speed Control. It gets you back to your setting as fast as possible as opposed to a gradual increase.
Peter

I wish that was an adjustable setting in the Adaptive CC menu. How aggressive the acceleration back to setpoint is. My mileage on the trip dropped quite a bit due to cars moving in and out of lane. The transmission would down shift to 4th to catch back up when a gradual increase would have been fine. What i tried recently was shifting the transmission in manual while on Adaptive CC. When a car pulled in front of me then back out, it didn't downshift and gradually got back up to speed. I'd like to test on a trip to see if that equates to increased MPG.

Hi noXcuses12,

The consistently awesome peterk9 points you in the right direction with his comments below, but I also want to add that if you're still concerned about the fuel efficiency of your Explorer, it wouldn't hurt to have your dealer take a look.

Additionally, the battery relearn process that you're interested in is outlined in the 3rd printing of your Owner's Manual, available for free download here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage. The information you want starts on page 345.

Disconnecting the battery will cause the shift points to be relearned along with the idle and fuel trim for optimum performance. I believe it will also relearn this over a period of time. There is a 'how to' in the Owner's Manual, in the Maintenance and Specifications under Battery that you can follow as well.

Peter

Great advice, Peter! :thumbsup:

Have a great day, everyone.

Crystal

Here's my thoughs about your gas mileage dropping:

1) You are getting more comfortable with the new Explorer, and are driving it harder and more aggressive.

2) Winter blend gas.

Is this your first SUV??

Overall I'm happy with the mileage. Just checking if there was a quick easy way to reset the shiftpoint to yeild an extra MPG or two.

Back