Transmission slippage following fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission slippage following fluid change

BearHug

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster here. Trying to figure out a small issue. Having some transmission slippage following a fluid change.

Just changed my car's transmission fluid and filter for the first time since buying it about six months ago -- currently, has about 118k on the clock. Had no issues before change just thought it a good idea to swap in some fresh fluid.

After dropping the pan, replacing filter, and re-screwing everything on with a clean gasket I added about two quarts of Mecron V. I ran the car through all the gears without issue, but now I'm starting to notice some slippage. A check of transmission fluid shows it's in the normal range.

I'd say it's worst when putting the car in reverse. Instead of instantly going into reverse it takes 3-4 seconds of lag time before engaging. This has also happened in OD and drive but not as bad. After driving the car for a while it seems to clear up. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on the issue?

Thanks and Happy 4th of July.:usa:

Its possible the torque converter is not fully filled yet. Might need to add a little more oil

Definitely sounds like it needs more fluid. 2 quarts isn't enough when dropping the pan. When the fluid warms up, it expands and you end up with 'enough' in the system to get it to work. Add 1/2 to 1 quart and start it up, drive it around and once it's warm, check the dipstick and add as necessary.

Thanks, followed your tips and topped it off with half a quart. The little delay is virtually gone. Will give it another gander and top up as necessary.

Back