transmission slipping and clunking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission slipping and clunking

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota / Orlando fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SLT
hey guys im not sure if i am posting this in the right spot or not but i got a quick question or two. After doing about 3 hrs of search on the internet, i still cant find anyone with my problems. i just need some help and advice and a good person to ask besides a greedy dealer.

1. When i first start my explorer and put it in rev, it slips. If i let it sit for about a minute or two before i put it in gear it feels like it is grabbing and doesn't slip. When i go in forward, sometimes not always, it will pulse a little bit in first gear before i hit 15 mph but after that it seems good. when i am going and it shifts it seems like it is a stiff shift, but it definatly shifts hard. Im not sure what this is or what the problem could be. I put some of that lucas transmission fix into it and it seemed like it helped a bit with the slipping. I got my service manual out and read it and it said to get it flushed before taking it to a tranny shop. I took it to get it done and the guy said that the clutches were going out. he said that they were made out of paper with metal in them and that after I put that stuff into the transmission i would only have about a week or 2 before the transmission went. now a month later, its still driving and the problem has not gotten any worse or better.

I am a Marine Technician (going to school to be one) and i just recently rebuilt a Borg Werner transmission, Granted it only has a fwd, neutral and rev i still took it apart and took the valve body off of it and put in new clutch plates and planitary gears. I was talking to my teacher and he told me that they did out with the paper gears in the 80's. Is the guy at the trany shop full of it or are they really made out of that paper like material?

2. i read on another forum that the abs light is linked to the transmission, dont know how this would work but anyone ever hear of that? I came to a couple of conclusions, 1 could my torque converter be going out, 2 need a VB rebuild, or 3 new transmission?

I really need help. i don't have thousands on me to get it fixed but i just need some sound advice.

One last thing, will it hurt to flush out my transmission? the guy at the shop said that it is the worst thing to do. My fluid is still kinda pink and doesnt smell?

thanks for listening to my rambeling,
John.

one more thing where can i find a manual to follow to tear this bad boy apart?

hey guys im not sure if i am posting this in the right spot or not but i got a quick question or two. After doing about 3 hrs of search on the internet, i still cant find anyone with my problems. i just need some help and advice and a good person to ask besides a greedy dealer.

1. When i first start my explorer and put it in rev, it slips. If i let it sit for about a minute or two before i put it in gear it feels like it is grabbing and doesn't slip. When i go in forward, sometimes not always, it will pulse a little bit in first gear before i hit 15 mph but after that it seems good. when i am going and it shifts it seems like it is a stiff shift, but it definatly shifts hard. Im not sure what this is or what the problem could be. I put some of that lucas transmission fix into it and it seemed like it helped a bit with the slipping. I got my service manual out and read it and it said to get it flushed before taking it to a tranny shop. I took it to get it done and the guy said that the clutches were going out. he said that they were made out of paper with metal in them and that after I put that stuff into the transmission i would only have about a week or 2 before the transmission went. now a month later, its still driving and the problem has not gotten any worse or better.

I am a Marine Technician (going to school to be one) and i just recently rebuilt a Borg Werner transmission, Granted it only has a fwd, neutral and rev i still took it apart and took the valve body off of it and put in new clutch plates and planitary gears. I was talking to my teacher and he told me that they did out with the paper gears in the 80's. Is the guy at the trany shop full of it or are they really made out of that paper like material?

2. i read on another forum that the abs light is linked to the transmission, dont know how this would work but anyone ever hear of that? I came to a couple of conclusions, 1 could my torque converter be going out, 2 need a VB rebuild, or 3 new transmission?

I really need help. i don't have thousands on me to get it fixed but i just need some sound advice.

One last thing, will it hurt to flush out my transmission? the guy at the shop said that it is the worst thing to do. My fluid is still kinda pink and doesnt smell?

thanks for listening to my rambeling,
John.

same problem I had with mine until the band broke and it would not shift from 1st to 2 nd anymore. I bought a used on with 100,000 miles with a warranty from a junk yard and put it in. good luck

Back