• Register Today It's free!

transmission slipping

jsimon724

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT Sport
2003 4.0 v6 5-speed auto; it's got the push-button 4wd (auto/4hi/4lo)

Bought it at auction with 180k miles, got 185k now - don't know anything about the service history.

Did oil and filter when I got it, have since topped off the transmission (less than a quart low), changed fluid in transfer case and rear (fluid in rear was a mess). Still need to do the front diff, and change filter and fluid in the trans.

Anyway, after a hard stop (not necessarily a panic stop, just getting hard on the brakes, like when someone cuts you off, or the light turns from yellow to red quickly), the transmission feels like its going into neutral. Then when you hit the gas to go, it slams into gear. Did it more often before I checked the fluid level and topped it off, still does it but less frequently.

Torque converter maybe? or something else? I know I need to take care of the filter and fluid, just been working out of town a lot lately and haven't had much time to mess with it. Think that'll help, or did I buy a problem child?

Thanks for any help,
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a problem child. Lots of posts regarding the transmission solenoid block. I let mine go too long and had to put in a rebuilt tranny.

Low fluid level.

Is this the only possibility? My fluid level is fine (I think) and it is having this exact same issue.

No, not the only possibility...but very much likely as the issue and easy enough to troubleshoot.

185k is a lot of miles. Since auto transmissions are a complete mystery to me I'd take it in to a tranny shop and have them make some adjustments.

You should be budgeting for wheel bearing services as well, about $190 per wheel, parts only. The expected life of them is 150k.

Thanks for the help so far. I will check level again this weekend, sucks that there's no dipstick:thumbdwn:

Had left rear bearings replaced after purchase to get through inspection (along with rear coil springs, front CV boot and a couple other small items). Not sure if any of the other bearings were replaced prior to me getting it.

Thanks again, Jim

It is a very common with early 3rd Gens to have this problem. In 2003 FMC was still working on the fluid that they use on the transmissions. If the fluid wasn't changed after it was perfected there is probably a lot of wear in your transmission, and a lot of shavings in the fluid. I highly recommend doing a full professional flush on the system to make sure all of the crap is taken out. It took me two flushes to get everything completely out and stop having problems with slippage.

thier is electrical pluge fittied tn the tranny downside disconnect the battry wire then disconnect the tranny pluge clean it with instrument cleaning spray then fit it back as 1st step if it did not solve it then most likely the transmession solenoid need replace by the way is O/D lamp flashing

No O/D light flashing. Weird thing is it only happens under very specific condition - after a hard stab at the brakes, and not sure if I should call it "slippage" per se. Definitely feels like the transmission has gone into neutral, then slams into gear after you get on the gas.

Thanks, Jim

ok 1st please make sure oil level is ok or change oil with filter if it is used more than 50000 mile plus clean the electrical plug
if the same problem still then replace the tranny solenoid it is located inside tranny oil pan coz i had the same problem before it is an electrical signal issue & it is common with explorer from 2001 to 2005

I had/have the same issue... "nursed" in about 1.5 qts... seemed to improve this by about 90%.... still happens on very hard stops.

Not sure if adding fluid will help you, but it did for me.

You are checking the fluid level with the engine warm and running, right?

I would drain and drop the pan and change the filter. That way you can see the condition of the fluid and see if anything is in the pan. You never know what prior owners could have done to it. It's possible that the wrong filter could be in there (without the extended pickup), causing it to suck air on hard stops!

In my case, yes it was warm and running. And I put in a new filter only a month ago.

Back