Transmission spits when overheated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission spits when overheated

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
I'm at the end of my rope. :( My transmission shifts and operates just great, but as soon as it gets overheated fluid comes spitting out the vent pipe. I've checked the fluid level and it's at the proper level, I've checked for leaks, but there aren't any. I'm just wondering why my transmission is overheating in the first place. Before I have to borrow the money to replace the transmission in my X, I'm wondering if anyone knows why this is happening and is there something else that can be causing this. Any help will be most greatly appreciated.......thanks!

Oops, I forgot: I have a 92 Sport with a 4-speed automatic transmission

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got mine rebuilt, it will spit fluid out the odd time, and i have my vent hose extended out to near the top of the engine compartment, fluid still comes out the odd time. I have too much fluid though, and it still needs to be broken in, if you say its at the proper level, is that after running for 15 min or so, and shifting in all gears?

Welcome to the aging A4LD world. You have enough slippage in your old worn out trannie to build up enough heat to cause this problem. I have the same trouble on mine at 206K... and rebuilding it. That is the only fix, really.

Brandons said:
If you say its at the proper level, is that after running for 15 min or so, and shifting in all gears?

Yes it is

Glacier991 said:
I have the same trouble on mine at 206K... and rebuilding it. That is the only fix, really.

Mine only has 111,x.. miles on it

Sandy, How do you know its overheating? Do you have a guage? More importantly, do you have a LARGE transmission cooler? If not, I'd install one ASAP.

I was going to recommend a tranny cooler also.

i would have to agree i think its time for a rebuild but have you checked your fluid flow thru your cooler and lines ive seen plugged lines or coller do the same thing

Back